MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Mercedes-Benz c180 kompressor: Hi hope someone can help we

Hi hope someone can help we have a 2002 Mercedes c180 kompressor need to know the correct amount of engine and auto gearbox oil and any other tips when doing it
Thanks SCS
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

Could you post your VIN number so I can check some details please.

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

vin no

WDB1704652F237437

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
Hi - in your question details you said it was a C180 kompressor - that VIN is for an SLK320

is that correct - is this an SLK?

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

paul will you be long it is not a hard question

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
Hi - did you see my last reply?

I am just trying to confirm the model - in your first question you said it was a C180 kompressor but the VIN is for an SLK320

the oil amount is quite different for these models so I just want to confirm what you have!

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The. Car is a 2002 c180 kompressor coupe . The first vin

No was wrong the second vin.no was correct

Regards jon

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,

Regards jon 

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jon,

Sorry if you have posted your VIN here but the only VIN I can see is the one for the SLK

Could you post the VIN again for the C180K

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WDB2QR037462A446298

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

thanks - got it!

Ok - oil capacity is 5.5 litres for an oil & filter change, this should be set just below the max mark on the dipstick or the oil level warning light may come on. Not all vehicles are fitted with a dipstick & a workshop dipstick should be used to check the level. Alternatively use the oil level check on the dash just to confirm the level.

The oil filter is a paper element type - unscrew the plastic housing on the intake manifold side & just lift it up slightly - let the oil drain out of the filter while you drain the engine oil from the sump. Then remove & replace the filter element.

The gearbox oil can vary - usually around 4-5 litres of transmission oil is required for an oil & filter change - again, no dipstick is installed & would definitely recommend a workshop dipstick the confirm the level here. You can get these from tool suppliers or check here: dipstick on ebay

if your vehicle has no engine dipstick then you will have 2 caps on 2 dipstick tubes - make sure you fill the gear oil in the correct tube!

here is the cap for the gearbox oil filler/dipstick tube:

graphic

There are a few oil dipstick tube caps - they usually look like this:

graphic

Let me know if you need anything else

Best regards, Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have the dipstick now but it won't go in fully. It is in the right tube as you have shown me the caps for them. Any special trick for that to work out?

Thank you!

Expert:  MB Paul replied 2 years ago.

Hi - I presume you are talking about the gearbox dipstick?

The dipstick does not go all the way in - you push it in until it bottoms out inside the sump. It is a universal dipstick for all models so is quite long!

Best regards, Paul

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much!