Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

SL500 fuel tank baffles

HEY MIKE.. Hopefully u know me by now 2003 SL500.. prior owner stated baffles in gas tank are loose. .. when car is 1/2 full they, it makes noise when I stop and go. you know at intersections.. is this a big deal.. or just noise.. that I should live with..

Michael Warfield :

I'm sorry to say it is a big deal. The whole fuel tank needs to be replaced with the newer updated style.

Michael Warfield :

It is about a 10-12 hour job and the fuel tank is very expensive.

Michael Warfield :

I would just live with it and keep the tank full.

Michael Warfield :

Mercedes never did a recall on this but dealerships were offering some assistance to customers that were good customers. For you, I think your just better leaving the issue alone. It won't ever hurt anything.

Customer:

What is is like one piece of metal (baffle) loose? Did many years of the SL have problems with this? what years?

Michael Warfield :

Yes, one large metal baffel is a little loose so it bows and makes noise. It doesn't slam around in the tank if thats what you think. Only 2003 models I think had this problem. I remember mercedes quickly addressing the issue and changing the tank part number on future production models. Its unfortunate this problem wasn't addressed under warranty or exhibited symptoms while it was under waranty.

Customer:

so when the tank is more full it goes away.. okay.. next the door key. sometimes when i hold it down by the door the top goes down or goes up.. is there a reason this is intermiten>? or it only works if i don't touch the door keys for a few minutes ..like 10 minutes??

Michael Warfield :

The key batteries might be getting low

Michael Warfield :

Also, make sure you are holding the unlock or lock buttons down the entire time and pointing it at the drivers door handle.

Michael Warfield :

The system works on direct line of sight from the key to the door handle. You have to be within 3 feet for reliable operation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can u change the batteries in the laser key remote? and how? Ben