Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

my ac..component a9 (AC compressor) has open circuit or short circuit

hi,
my AC dos not work so i have chacked in the Meracedea main computer and i have ricived the following :
"BI1640: the component or the signal line to the component A9 (AC compressor) has open circuit or short circuit "
can you rell me waht is mean and if the compresor needed to be change?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm sorry that you are still having trouble with the a/c system. I am going to be away until Tuesday. Can you post your VIN number for me so I can look up some information on the code for you? I may be able to reply sooner if I can get access to my database.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi,

yes as you can see still there - thank you very much for that as i dont know if to buy a new dryer and compresor

my VIN NO IS : WDBNF65J7XA046923

looking forward to hear from you

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I'll reply back asap.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much !!
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Uri, I have a couple of questions. Previously I believe you said that you bypassed the compressor clutch and the a/c blew cold but I do not see a compressor clutch on your model. Your a/c compressor should run continuously and is controlled by a duty cycle solenoid.

Also, have you ever had any a/c pressure gauges connected to the system?

Finally, how did you come up with that fault code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi , We did the bypass ( we have connected 12 v directly to the compressor ) And it worked . 2. We have emped the sistem and refills it with gas ( fully) And it worked good when it was connected directly.3. The code came form the Mercedes computer. The item no of the compressor in my car is XXXXXXXXXX (zero zero zero two three zero nine one one one ) Do you think it is the solenoid ( where is it located in the car)Thank you Uri
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I do not see that part number. Did you mean A000 230 90 11?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is 3 ones in the end
If you will do(NNN) NNN-NNNNon eBay can see it,
Uri
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, click here for the compressor I found when I ran the number on eBay. If you notice there is no compressor clutch on that compressor. The compressor turns all of the time and is controlled by the duty cycle solenoid towards the back of the compressor. Is that the one that you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes this is the one !
Thank you
Uri
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so evidently you put power directly to the duty cycle solenoid, is that correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that's right
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, how did you retrieve the B1640 fault code?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry what do you mean by that ?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
In your original post you said you retrieved a B1640 code. Where did you retrieve the code from? Did you have the car connected to the Mercedes tester?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes it was connected and I have it printed on paper
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, do you have a complete quick test print out? Can you scan it and post it here? If you cannot do that can you list each code and the module that it was retrieved from?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok so here it is :

DIAGNOSIS ASSISTANCE SYSTEM copyright 1999 daimler AG

____________________________________________________________

VIN ---NF65J7XA046923 MODEL 220.065

____________________________________________________

FAULT CODES

CONTROL unit : SAML

______________________________________________________

CODE TEXT STATUS

B1640 the component or the signal line to the component current and stored

A9(AC compressor) has open circuit or short circuit

_____________________________________________________________

filename F:/programme/Das/trees/pkw/grundmod/sam/menues/MNSAML01.S

cell co-ordinate: 9 , 9

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, that code could have been stored because you disconnected the compressor to jump it. Did the shop erase the fault code and retest it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, they told me that I have to Chang the compressor and the dryer
But as you can see I'm not sure of that at all
Afther I disconnected the wire from the compressor I put it back in ofcourse
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I do not think that you can rely on their diagnosis if they did not erase the code and retest the system. Do you have any fault codes stored in the climate control panel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i didnt see but i can chack it out

i will do it know

uri

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

chacked it and well there is no codes stored in the climate control

uri

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

im here now - what do you think abut all of that ?

i dont know if i mantioned it but i have change the climate control as you told me ...

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, at this point I think you need to get the fault codes erased and rechecked and also get the air conditioning system pressures tested. I don't trust the fault code they came up with since you had previously disconnected the compressor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok - is there any way I can do that by mysalf? - to erace the codes ? The air perssure was tested when i put the new gas in the sistem, and when i did the buypass it was even befor i chang the gas and if worked great ,do you think I can do a bypass and "fix" it and Finished with it ?( like to make a switch next to the driver ?)I remained you that it didn't worked from the start ( befor I disconnected the compressor )
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You cannot erase fault codes without using a factory level scan tool. You could bypass the compressor as you did before but by doing that your compressor will be on maximum cooling at all times. It could create a problem by doing it that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok ,
There for I have to go to the main Mercedes workhouse
I will do that and update you
But according to all the info what do you think the problem is ? Can you tell me what do you think it is?
Thank you
Uri
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Uri, at this point I suspect that you may have a faulty left front signal acquisition module. The module receives the a/c request from the a/c control panel and sends it to the compressor. With the Mercedes tester you can view the request from the a/c control and also view the compressor status to help diagnose this problem.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.