Auto Psychic
Auto Psychic, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  semiretired mercedes benz master guild technician w 4+ decades of diagnosis and repair experience
59210310

slk280: has rough idle , high rpm and no power..random times

My SLK 280 has rough idle, high rpm and no power. This happens at random times, then the car will drive like normal.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Auto Psychic replied 2 years ago.

Auto Psychic :

hi, i'll be happy to help you in anyway i can.

Auto Psychic :

kudos to you for catching up on all that deferred maintenance.

Auto Psychic :

sorry to hear about your misfortune though :(

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Auto Psychic :

did this start right after the recent service?

Auto Psychic :

heck, it seems justanswer may be experiencing technical difficulties.

Customer:

no this actually started about a month ago, while driving to work (26 mi trip mainly highway) I exited off the interstate when I came to stop at light I had a very rough idle, no other problems. I spoke with a couple people who named numerous things it could be. No messages on my car thoug.

Auto Psychic :

ok, have the mass air flow sensor replaced, think of it as a maintenance item.

Customer:

Then no other problems. The next time it happened about a week and a half later it did same thing only idle was horrible it felt like my car was going to die, then when trying to accelerate my car would not go, however rpms were high and the check engine light was flashing. So thats when I took it to shop, no problems on way there.

Auto Psychic :

next assuming the check engine lite is not on, have the crankshaft position sensor replace.

Auto Psychic :

that should do it.

Auto Psychic :

you dont happen to know the fault codes that turned on the check engine lite?

Customer:

They did everything I mentioned earlier and now check engine light is off however it drove fine on the way home but about a mile from my house, no rough idle but no power and rpms very high, when pulling in my drive way there is very slight incline and my engine was very loud and i basically floored it and my car would not even budge

Customer:

and unfortunately no I dont know the codes

Auto Psychic :

the high idle aside, have the 2 parts i mentioned above replaced.

Auto Psychic :

beyond that it sounds like you may have a bad throttle actuator.

Auto Psychic :

i'm afraid all of this is a little like 'house' if wwe suspect something we treat for it, if the patient doesnt get better we were wrong.

Auto Psychic :

what think you?

Customer:

Niether of those two have been replaced.

Customer:

there is no rough idle today after i picked up from shop however it did not have any power and high rpms about a mile and a half from home after a 60 mile trip.

Customer:

it almost feels like it doesnt want to kick into gear

Auto Psychic :

start there, keep me posted, if you end up going with the throttle actuator, check out beckmanntechnologies.com.

Customer:

what are the probablity of it being transmission

Auto Psychic :

would you describe it as if the trans is slipping, thus the high rpm??

Customer:

not at all just seems as though it doesnt want to shift into second

Auto Psychic :

ok, now the rough idle aside, it sounds like your stuck in limp home mode.

Auto Psychic :

the most common cause of this is the electrical conductor plate in the transmission.

Auto Psychic :

this gets a little tricky in that it may or may not trip the check engine lite.

Customer:

ok so what is the average cost of repair on that

Auto Psychic :

so, if you cycle the key, all is good and no check engine lite, is that right?

Customer:

cycle the key?

Customer:

im sorry i have no knowledge really about cars

Auto Psychic :

turn the car off and back on.

Auto Psychic :

no problem, mercedes are really not car so much as alien space craft lol

Customer:

ok yeah sometimes i can do that and there will be no problem and then maybe a few days later it would happen not necessarily at first but after driving then it happens

Auto Psychic :

is it better since the recent service, or not so much?

Customer:

well like i said it drove all the way fine (60 mi trip) until about a mile and a half from my house

Auto Psychic :

heres what i'd do,

Auto Psychic :

have the mass air flow sensor and the electrical conductor plate in the trans replaced.

Auto Psychic :

probably about $1000

Auto Psychic :

have all the computers in your car reset.

Auto Psychic :

drive it for a while.

Auto Psychic :

only do this if you like the car, otherwise trade up.

Auto Psychic :

??

Customer:

ok i will try these suggestions

Auto Psychic :

may the force be with you.

Auto Psychic :

here if you need me, gary

Auto Psychic, Mercedes Technician
Experience: semiretired mercedes benz master guild technician w 4+ decades of diagnosis and repair experience