Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz slk 230: problems with retractible hard top,

problems with retractible hard top, won't unlock to go down & rear sensor has been replaced?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, what happens when you try to lower the roof? Do the front latches unlock and then it stops?

Customer:

frant lat hes were preserviced last fall, has gone twice this month does thatevery now & then

Customer:

front latches do not relase.

Customer:

I HAVE SPENT A GREAT DEAL OF FUNDS TRYING TO CORECT THIS ISSUE, CAR IS IN GREAT SHAPE OTHERWISE & DON'T WISH TO SPEND A GREAT DEAL OF TIME ON THIS ISSUE.

eurotec :

Do you get any action at all from the front when you try to open the roof?

Customer:

No answer thus far Advise plse

Customer:

No answer thus far??

Customer:

Still no response advise,T.Y

Customer:

NO action, occasionally if it works it works fine

eurotec :

Do you hear the pump in the trunk running when you try to lower the roof?

Customer:

IS IT POSSIBLE TO TALK PERSOANLLY WITH TECH?

Customer:

No action from front T.Y

eurotec :

Sorry we are not allowed to call.

eurotec :

How about from the pump? Can you hear the pump operating in the trunk when you try to open the roof?

Customer:

if it starts, it continues& will also come back up, but tough. to get it started down

Customer:

Pump is fine when working

eurotec :

How about when it doesn't work? I need to know if you can hear the pump?

Customer:

I DO HEAR CLUNKING FROM D/S REAR WHEN TRYING TO WORK

eurotec :

Has the fluid level in the pump been checked?

Customer:

i CAN HEAR THE PUMP WORKING

eurotec :

Ok, it's hard to say what's happening without actually seeing the car and checking the system with the Mercedes tester but from what you describe I would first have the fluid level in the pump checked.

Customer:

When I touch the swith to put it down the pump works, rear lid will rise & goes up & thats it

Customer:

Fluids fine veh had service b/4 &when put back down on the road this month

eurotec :

Ok, misunderstood you. If the rear lid opens and that's as far as it goes I would indicate a fault with one of the limit switches in the top system.

Customer:

Service indicated fluids & pump were OK

Customer:

I guess it time to just live with it as I have had service on this 4 times,& everyone indicates the same thing, live with it, T.Y for your time Cordially Frank

eurotec :

Did you see my note about the limit switches?

Customer:

HOW DO WE ND THIS CHAT??

eurotec :

You can click Accept to end the chat if you are satisfied with my help so that I can get credit or you can just exit the chat and your deposit will remain in your JA account.

Customer:

YES, i WILL HAVE TO GO IN FOR ANOTHER SEVICE THANKS AGAIN

eurotec :

You're quite welcome

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.