Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI: I have a 2005 mercedes cdi turbo diesel.

I have a 2005 mercedes cdi turbo diesel. Over the last few months, the acceleration when cold has started to become uneven. Recently over the last month, the turbo has even stopped working and i guess the car goes into limp mode. If you cut it off, and then back on a few minutes later, most of the time it works again. Just in the last week, I have noticed a whistling sound that coincides with the acceleration. I am sure it is the turbo, because, when the car goes into limp mode with no turbo, there is no whistling. How bad is this problem? Can I fix it with a rebuild kit or is it the actuator? What am I looking at?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 5 years ago.

Michael Warfield :

It is usually a stuck EGR valve on this engine. This causes all of the turbo boost to be dumped off into the exhaust, this is probably the whistling your hearing,

Michael Warfield :

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. The only other things that can cause this is the inlet port shut off flaps built inside of the intake manifold. They also stick causing the turbo boost to be blocked and allow very little airflow into the engine.

Michael Warfield :

Usually a fault code scan will help determine which one it is.

Customer:

That would be great. I do have a check engine light

Michael Warfield :

Yes, this should tell you which problem is actually causing the problem.

Customer:

i guess I need to get it hooked up. It has 92000 miles on it. Does that change your theory?

Customer:

I was really scared I would be replacing the whole thing.

Michael Warfield :

No, usually these problems happen because of the carbon build up inside the intake at the highe mileages.

Customer:

thank you