Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician

1999 e320: matic..driver window..other windows work.

Customer Question

1999 e320 wagon 4 matic. driver window does not go up or down. All other windows work. Drivers door panel is off. door control module clicks when window switch by gear level activated. multi meter says there is power to the window motor when window switch is activated, but after door control mudule clicks, power is shut off. I tried direct battery power to window motor, but motor does not work. I took cover off window motor and the armature spins freely. any suggestions?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 2 years ago.

Michael Warfield :

So do yo see the window motor turning when you actuate the switch?

Customer:

motor does not turn

Michael Warfield :

The window motor may be shorted electrically and thats why the door control module shuts off power as soon as it is actuated. If you jump direct power to the motor and it still doesn't turn, the only thing it could be is the window motor.

Customer:

Is the clicking from the door module the right noise I should be hearing? Is it reading a short in the motor, and then cutting power to the motor?

Michael Warfield :

Yes, the clicking in the door control module means the relay is clicking over to send power to the motor. It turning off right away means it sensed too high of a current draw. This is also how it knows to stop at the top of the window and for anti pinch proctection.

Customer:

Good answer. Guess I am buying a motor. Thanks for your help.

Experience: Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far, I have replaced the window motor (this did not fix the problem). Then I replaced the door control module (this did not fix the problem). I am still getting a clicking sound out of the control module. With direct power to the window motor, it works fine. Any more suggestions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I am sitting with the door apart right now and would like to fix it now.
Expert:  Auto Psychic replied 2 years ago.
hi, i'll be happy to help you in anyway i can.
it would seem that you and i and michael are missing something.
so when you say the motor works fine with direct power, what exactly do you mean?
the window moves up and down freely.
is the window binding at all?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I took the motor out of the door and ran it of a spare battery. The window seems to move down freely because I could move the window down a little by rotating the drive gear.
ok, try this:
since you've got the door panel off.
reinstall the motor and help the window up and down manually.
i'm thinking the window regulator/channels may just be real sticky, activating false pinch protection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried it but it did not work. Should I take the motor out and really try to move the window? My wife said it that when it stopped working, it just stopped. It did not grind or anything.
yes, it sounds like your window regulator may be failing and the extreme mechanical resistance is tripping the pinch protection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will try this tomorrow. It is getting late. Thanks for your help.
talk to you tomorrow then.
gary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Door apart again. Plugged in my spare window motor to the wiring harnes to see if it would work. It did not. Could something upstream of the door be shorting out?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With window motor disconnected from harness, door module clicks when window switch activated. With motor harness disconnected from door module, there is no clicking. Does this indicate a bad harness?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Black wire pin at terminal 5 on motor side of wire harness is broken. Now working to get connector apart to fix pin. How does the connector come apart?
since you've asked it seems you must have a connector that doesnt actually come apart.
the way these work is there is a small tab next to the pin thats snaps into the connector when you insert the pin.
mercedes has a myriad of release tools to release them.
needles of various sizes or a small paper clip might do the trick.
its also rare for a pin to break at what would seem to be the door control module plug, since there is no fles there.
whats far more common is for the wires to break where they go through the hinge.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1525083-driver-window-not-working-oh-no-3.html

There are 3 pictures (not of my car) in this thread which show the exact problem with my car. I find it intriguing that the same wire, in the same location, broke.
yes, that is intriguing, somehow there must be some flex in the harness at that point.
the pictures are pretty good.
you can just see the little tab i was trying to describe.
the advice by the first guy i thought was pretty good.
get a door harness from a wrecking yard and splice the new end on.
what do you think?