Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor: i have a 2004 c230 kompressor,

Customer Question

i have a 2004 c230 kompressor, the check engine light on, and the code read: p0020 generic intake camshaft position actuator bank 1. give an explanation to understand that please?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 2 years ago.

Michael Warfield : Do you have the 1.8 liter supercharged engine?
Customer:

YES

Customer:

YES 4 CYLINDERS

Michael Warfield : The cam magnets have a tendency to leak oil into the engine harness causing various faults. I would advise pulling the connectors off of them to inspect for oil. They are the two small round sensors, about 3 inches in diameter, on the very top front of the engine.
Michael Warfield : If you do find oil, you will have to replace these cam magnets. I would call the dealership and see if the recall has been done on your vin# XXXXX or if it even applies. The whole repair may be covered under warranty.
Customer:

DO YOU MEAN THAT THERE WAS A RECALL FOR THAT

Customer:

WAS THERE A RECALL FOR THAT ISSUE?

Customer:

IF SO, WHERE ARE THE CAM MAGNETS LOCATED?

Michael Warfield : Right on the front of the engine, at the very top, I'll find a picture just give me a few minutes.
Michael Warfield :

271 engine cam magnet location
Full Size Image

Customer:

YOU MEAN IF I SEE OIL IN THE CONNECTORS, CHANGE THESE MAGNETS

Customer:

HELLO

Customer:

ARE YOU STILL ON MR MICHAEL

Michael Warfield :

Yes, sorry

Michael Warfield :

If you see oil in the electrical connectors for these magnets, the magnets will need to be changed.

Michael Warfield :

Before you go ahead and order the parts though, Call the dealership and give them your vin# XXXXX they will tell you if the camshaft magnet/wiring harness recall has been performed or not.

Michael Warfield :

The recall replaces these magnets and installs adapter harnesses in case they ever leak again that they won't wick itself further into the harness.

Customer:

NOW, in case it already been done, how much will the cam magnets cost, and do you think if i replace them, the check engine will turn off.

Michael Warfield :

The magnets are about $40 each and if you replace them it will turn off the check engine light.

Michael Warfield :

You will have to get the codes cleared though after replacement of the magnets.

Michael Warfield :

It should only take you about 20 minutes to perform the repair.

Customer:
last thing mr. Michael
Customer:

where you think i cam find these parts

Customer:

what autoparts you think that i could find these magnets?

Michael Warfield :

You will also need some black RTV sealant you can get at the local autoparts store.

Customer:

should i buy both of them

Customer:

Mr. Michael, Should I buy both of them

Michael Warfield :

Yes, you probably should because if only one is leaking now, the other might soon be.

Customer:

THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX BIG AND PROFESSIONAL HELP

Experience: Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ALTOUGH I CHANGED THE CAM ADJUSTER MAGNETS AND THE INTAKE POSITION SENSOR,
THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS BACK ON AFTER 10 MINUTES DRIVING. WHEN I
RE-RUNNED IT TO THE COMPUTER, IT STILL SAID THE SAME.

PLEASE GIVE ME A WAY OUT.
I think you need to scan the fault codes with something other than a basic scanner. The generic code p0020 is to generalized. You need to get a mercedes sds diagnostic tool or equivalent that can read the manufacturer fault codes. The intake cam position fault code may be an indicator the camshaft adjuster inside the engine may be malfunctioning so a more accurate scan of fault codes should be performed to diagnose this possible costly repair.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mr. Michael,

Where is located the camshaft position sensor bank 2 please?

There should be one on the intake cam near the back of the cam on top, and the exhaust on is near the front on the side of the valve cover. I'm not sure which one your scanner has bank 2 listed since you car is a inline engine which means it only has 1 bank. This is what I mean about your scanner can only read generic codes. A lot of the descriptions might be slightly off.