Michael Warfield
Michael Warfield, Factory Mercedes-Benz Technician
Experience:  Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
37243545

2006 SL500: keyless fob..mechanical..alarm light starts to blink

Customer Question

My 2006 SL500 doors do not lock. When I try to lock it from the keyless fob or handle button I hear a mechanical sound in the driver door handle area but the lock thingy doens't go down. The alarm light starts to blink though. Any ideas?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Michael Warfield replied 2 years ago.

Michael Warfield :

Do both doors not lock?

Customer:

Neither locks.

Customer:

Trunk doesn't open

Michael Warfield :

I think the mechanical sound your hearing is the central locking (PSE) pump in the trunk. The car actually thinks it's locking but the locks aren't getting any vacuum to lock. I have seen the PSE pump internally develop a leak. You should pop the trunk open, lift the floor up where the spare tire is, and feel the pump to see if it actuates. It is encased in foam on the bottom left side underneath the convertible hydraulic pump

Customer:

It has keyless go.

Michael Warfield :

Pop the metal key blade out of the remote, and use the metal blade to open the trunk

Customer:

Nope sound is definetly coming from the door.

Michael Warfield :

There is a key tumbler next to the trunk lid handle, turn it counter clockwise.

Michael Warfield :

Get to the battery in the trunk and disconnect the battery for a minute.

Michael Warfield :

It will reset the pump

Michael Warfield :

The pump is the computer and vacuum/pressure motor for the locking system

Customer:

I'll try but the sound is definitly coming from the door.

Michael Warfield :

Right, but do this first.

Michael Warfield :

I believe the sound is coming from the door because there is no vacuum present to move the lock. The electric portion is opening the valve in the lock by the door, but it can't because of the lack of vacuum.

Customer:

ok that makes sense.

Customer:

Removed the aux power for about 2 min. and reconnected. no dice.

Customer:

The first sign of a problem was at lunch when I unlocked driver door by grabbing handle and passenger didn't open.

Customer:

That is passenger side didn't unlock too.

Customer:

How can I get that vacuum is not there?

Michael Warfield :

If you reset the pse pum by disconnecting the battery, it should start working again hopefully

Michael Warfield :

pump*

Michael Warfield :

Sorry, do you hear the pump run at all when you try to lock the doors?

I started this mode, I was having trouble in the other mode. Can you try and lock the door with the remote while standing next to the trunk, do you hear the pump run at all?

Any luck yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No dice in the reset by pulling the power. I removed the pump assembly and inspected the pump motor. I found that it was burned out. Its a Bosch motor but Bosch and suppliers refuse to sell me one. Mercedes will sell me the whole assembly for $900. Only the motor is bad. Not the circuit board or valves. Which a waste to throw these perfectly good parts away. Whats up with that Mercedes?
Your right as in they don't make separate motors for the pse, but the motors don't typically burn up like yours. Usually just the rubber hose comes off the valveblock inside. The only things that can damage the motor is water intrusion in the trunk. Check to make sure there is no signs of contamination, such as corrosion at the electrical connectors or pse circuit board. A common spot for water entry is the 3rd brake lamp assembly seal and trunk seal. Just check these before you put everything back together by spraying them with a hose. You wouldnt want to ruin your new pse pump.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No water. Thanks for your help anyway.

Mercedes doesn't make the motor, but there is a wonderful thread that shows where to get a new motor, you just have to do a slight modification. Also don't forget to click accept if you found my answers helpful. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1585361-diy-pse-pump-post-mortem-resurrection-2.html

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Michael,
The link to the thread identifies a motor that Jamaco doesn't sell anymore or have a substitue for. I contacted the motor vendor and there distributors and this motor is no longer available.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bummer Wish I had known before buying a new unit. Cost almost $700!!!

Are you sure you cant return it?

Also, that link I sent you where you said the motors weren't available from jamaco, if you look on the next couple pages, it says you can get them on ebay. Hopefully you can return the pump. If I have been helpful, please accept my answer as this is how I get paid for my time.
Experience: Mercedes-Benz Master Certified technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks like my big mistake for not reading the complete thread. dang me! Hey any thoughts on why the seat lumbar are not inflating? Here's some background. They didn't inflate until I had the codes reset. Then they did for a day. Then they didn't any more. Somewhere I saw on a report something about timiming out because the pump had run too long. Note neither seat works. Could it be a common supply leak? Do you know which air line supplies the seats?

Thanks Michael.
The pse pump shuts that circuit down when there is a leak detected. The lumbar and the trunk latch pulldown is on the same circuit. Usually the trunk latch leaks or where the vacuum line comes out of the carpet underneath the seat. The line gets pinched/cut/worn or whatever, but the trunk latch leaks most often.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So the vacuum is pulling the trunk down but the seats do not inflate. Seems like if they were on the same circuit neither would work. Thoughts? Does each seat have a separate line to the pump? Any idea which line out of the pump goes to the seat or other trouble shooting ideas?
The seats are the ones that only have the lumbar.

That is unusual since most times when the trunk latch leaks, the lumbar is out as well. They might have changed it starting in your year though, where they might have separated the circuits. I think both seats would be on the same circuit but I would still check it for leaks. The way I check it without pulling the seat out, is to start the car then shut it off and listen very carefully by the front bottom of the seats. Make sure it is whisper quiet where you have the car parked, such as your garage. If you hear the air leak, the I would pull up the seat and I would repair the line with some rubber vacuum line.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michael, just thought you would like to know that the motor on ebay wi about 1/4 the size of the original. I'm sure it does not have the power to be a reliable replacement and could even overheat and be a bigger problem. Just thought you would like to know.
It is good to know, I was taking apart my battery operated snap-on electric impact gun the other day which has 125 ft. Lbs of torque out of a 3/8 drive and it runs off a small electric Johnson motor. I haven't heard of anyone's pse replacement motor fail yet but that doesn't mean they don't or will.