Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

how long does it take to remove and replace the auto transmission on a mercedes 1983 300D?

how long does it take to remove and replace the auto transmission on a mercedes 1983 300D? need to replace the flywheel...the flywheel hole(s?) have widened so that the head of the bolt(s?) almost doesn't hold the flywheel down. The transmission was replaced and improper bolts were used ie hardware store type not automotive.
Is it as simple as disconnecting any vacuum hoses or control linkage, dropping the transmission with a floor jack, unbolting the flywheel and replacing it...what are any tips or advice on what to be aware or careful of??
I've been told 10 hours which is very pricey so am considering doing it myself...
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX the book, this is a 7.2 hour job, but not the most difficult to do, i will post the procedure for replacing the trans below, and you can decide if you can do it,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the instructions that the previous expert posted for the removal of the transmission are not applicable to your Mercedes. Just reply back if you need more help with this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've been trying to make sense of them and wasn't sure it these were correct or not.

I don't see the flywheel and how it's connected. I'm pretty sure it's just several bolts, but not sure if these are bolts only screwed into the torque converter or bolts through the flywheel with nut's/washers on back side....

Do you have a pic of how the flywheel is secured to the torque converter?

since you indicated these are not the correct instructions, do you have the corrcect ones?

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Mercedes does not have any printed instruction on the removal but I can explain the procedure. You have already paid for the answer by clicking accept on the previous experts answer. If you would like me to continue to help you I will need you to let me know that you are not satisfied with the previous answer and I can have the credit transferred to me if you are satisfied with my help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i thought i had to accept or reject each communication, now i see that I wait until the question is fully answered before accepting.

I would like you to continue with helping me answer the question because I'm not satisfied with the previous answer regarding transmission removal/replacement.

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I will put together some instructions later today
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Please note my question on the flywheel....also, is the book hour

7.2 hrs? I was quoted 10 hrs in the shop to do this work....

Thanks

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, book time is 7.2 but I would probably round it up to 8 hours. 10 hours seems a little too high.

To remove the transmission you will need to disconnect the negative battery cable and then remove all of the torque converter bolts that you tightened then push the converter back towards the transmission to get the nose of the converter out of the crankshaft. Make sure that you only turn the motor clockwise in the direction of normal rotation when turning the motor to access the converter bolts. Next you will need to disconnect the control cable, vacuum hose, linkage, oil cooler lines and wiring to the transmission. Remove the driveshaft and the transmission crossmember. You can place a 2X4 between the engine and the subframe to keep the transmission from dropping too far at the rear. Next you will need to remove all of your transmission bell housing bolts and then pull the transmission back and lower it out of the vehicle. Make sure that you have a transmission jack or some means of supporting the transmission before you remove all of the bell housing bolts. Once you get the transmission removed you will need to unbolt the flex plate from the crankshaft. I have attached the instructions for that procedure below. Let me know if you have any questions.

Replace Flex Plate

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

to clarify..the driven plate(part #48; pg 5 in pdf) is the same as the flex plate which attaches to the flywheel?

this helps clarify the waisted bolt issue as well. it's hard to tell from the pics, but could the current "wasted bolts installed" be replaced with new ones without taking out the transmission? If not, why not?

Thanks again

Tom

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom, the driven plate is the same as the flex plate. The waisted bolts are the bolts that secure the flex plate and flywheel to the crankshaft. There is no way to access those bolts without first removing the transmission because they screw into the crankshaft. The bolts that you are having trouble with coming loose are the ones that secure the torque converter to the flex plate. Since the 6 holes in the flex plate are wallowed out you will need replace the flex plate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Bear in mind the transmission has not been taken out. I was told i needed a new flywheel because holes in the flywheel have been enlarged. Based on our discussion the only bolts holding the flywheel are the wasted bolts so there is no way a person could even notice if the flywheel holes have been enlarged. Corect?

Since you can't get access to the waisted bolts (ie tighten them w/o removing the transmission) only the 6 bolts holding the flex plate to torque converter could have been tightened through the inspection plate, as you indicated.

so, in your opinion, isn't it a very low probability that the flywheel needs to be replaced?

to me it makes sense to replace the flex plate but I'd still have to remove the transmission...I can't figure out why my mechanic is telling me the flywheel holes are enlarged and he noticed this after tightening "bolts" through the inspection plate.

[sorry if I'm repeating what has been said, but i need to be very sure about this scenario]

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

since I think we're are finished with this one after you reply...could I request you for future questions? if so, how?

thanks,

Tom

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom, I have thought all along that it was the holes in the flex plate for the converter bolts that the mechanic was referring to. I think he just referred to the flex plate as a flywheel. You will only need to replace the flex plate for this problem.

For future questions the easiest thing to do is to put my name in your question. Just start it with "ForCustomerquot; or something like that and I will be sure to see it.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

he specifically indicated $200 for a flywheel locally vs $500 for one from germany. i can get a used flex plate for $78 from a reputable source

i had another quick one to finalize this...

depending on how wallowed out the holes are, what do you think of adding washers and loctite for a short term fix. the mechanic already tighened the bolts to get rid of the awful noise so I'm going to recheck and see how wallowed out the flex plate holes really are...i bought it with 183k miles, rebuilt transmission (somehow I think this flex plate should have been addressed during the trans rebuild) ...it has 188k miles on it currently.

thanks for the contact info. this car has some smoke issues that i think are dialed in but need some fine tuning....I'll let you know under another thread...thanks again.

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom, there is nothing wrong with adding washers and using Loctite but it may make it difficult to get the bolts out later. I would certainly try it before going through all that work. Flex plates on this model rarely fail. I'd go for the used one. Just look closely and make sure there are no cracks.

And thank you for the bonus!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again....you're welcome on the bonus. I'm just looking for straight answers for a reasonable fee.
Do you answer questions for Dodge W250 with Cummins engines? If not can you recommend a knowledgeable mech on par with you? Quite frankly, I was concerned about the first mechanic on this thread from the very beginning.
Tom
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Tom, I'm afraid I don't know any experts over in the Dodge section. I'd just post your question and state that you would like an experienced tech for your particular car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sounds good. Thanks!
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You're quite welcome Tom.