Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1985 Mercedes 190e: assembly..right front..is just a bolt..compressor

I bought a lower control arm one-piece OE kit from Auto Parts Warehouse, which includes the bushings and ball joint in the assembly, for the right front passenger side of my 1985 Mercedes 190e. If this is just a bolt on kit, what type of coil spring compressor do I need to do this myself? Any other special tools required?

eurotec :

Hi, you are going to need to compress and remove the front coil spring before you remove the control arm. The Mercedes coil spring compressor fits down inside of the coil spring. You may have a hard time finding that type of spring compressor. The parts stores sell or rent universal compressors. You can probably get one to fit but it might be a struggle.

eurotec :

Click here for the Mercedes spring compressor.

eurotec :

Click here for the instructions to replace the arm.

eurotec :

Are you still there?

Customer:

yeah, I am looking through the instructions for replacing the control arm, but there are many numbers listed that are not identified on the sheet. This looks like instructions for replacing the control arm only, whereas, I bought a kit...wouldn't the instructions be different?

eurotec :

No those are the instructions to install the part that you purchased. The instructions are referring to all of the mounting bolts that need removing.

Customer:

OK...do you have an idea how much the 3-lug compressor costs?

eurotec :

$224 - Click here

Customer:

OK...thanks for your time...I am clicking the Accept button...

eurotec :

you're welcome