Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz C240: How do I change the transmission fluid

Customer Question

How do I change the transmission fluid on my 2003 C240 Mercedes Benz
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 2 years ago.

Super mechanic :

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. About your vehicle.

Super mechanic :

You can drain more from the torque converter

JACUSTOMER-8y5l44w7- :

How do I that?

Super mechanic :

About another 4 quarts

Super mechanic :

Full Size Image

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Let me try to post that again.

I have the instructions in a PDF format HERE

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The picture you attached doesn't look like anything on my car.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a different style of torque converter on some C240's?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, perhaps I can help. There is no drain on the torque converter on your Mercedes. You will only be able to drain approximately 4 quarts of fluid from the transmission when removing the pan.Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks. I the bottom of the pan was a 1 5/8 x 2 1/8 metal grate. Where does it go?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This little grate has part # XXXXX 220 271 00 98 stamped on it.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You referring to the magnet. Click on the image below.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does it just lay in the corner of the pan?

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Correct, just like you see in the picture.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I put the cover back and poured in the amount of transmission fluid I took out and started the car, put it in gear and the transmission doesn't engage. What could it be?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Make sure that you didn't pour the fluid into the engine oil dipstick tube by mistake. The engine dipstick tube and transmission tube are right next to each other. The transmission tube sits down lower and to the inside of the engine dipstick tube. If you poured the fluid into the motor you are going to need to drain the engine oil and refill it also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I only have one dipstick tube near the firewall. It has a small cap covering it. It appears the tube funnels to the transmission.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Click here for a picture of the transmission filler tube. It's down lower than the engine oil tube. You can see the engine oil tube in the picture.

Marty, Mercedes Technician