Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz 300se: i have a 1993 mercedes benz 300 se to

Customer Question

i have a 1993 mercedes benz 300 se to get it to run i bypassed the alarm system at the injectors power and ground it starts and runs but none of the interior gauge works .how can i bypass the alarm system altogether with evrything working properly or is this even possible help ??????
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Eurospecialist replied 2 years ago.
It may be possible to bypass the alarm module by jumping the appropriate wires at the alarm control module located in the trunk behind the right trim panel and below the hinge spring. It is rectangular L shaped with the connector at the the bottom. you will probably need a wiring diagram to do this. I personally have not tried it.

Pat
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it may be possible ? well , thats not good enough really , it is or isnt .....i need a more thorough answer like telling me which pins to jump pin to pin type of answer ....then i would be extremely satisfyied... like i said im a decent mechanic and an licensed aircraft mechaic but foreign car arent not my favorite thing at all so can you supply me with a diagram or so ething pls .....thks jdw
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
i thought my question was somewhat specific so as to get the proper answer i needed , any one in this world could give that answer to anyone else thats a standard reply answer that someone gives out that they arent sure if you can or not
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, perhaps I can help. The factory alarm system on your car disables the starter, not the fuel injectors. If you have no power to the injectors you need to check the fuses in the base module (N16/1) located in the module box under the hood on the passenger side. I've attached a picture below. Let me know how you make out.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you are talking about an 1993 300 se benz right ? 3.2 ltr ? there are many fuses on driver side along with the relays which extend into the dash area from undeneath the hood area ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok just out of curiousity i checked on passenger side where so called b/m where there is about 6 units of brains the last containing fuses.all were good only one contains pwr until ignition switch is turned on then they all have pwr.......in the begining there were problems with the auto door closure sysatem working not working later on the remote for the alarm sytem stop working the lights on the drivers door stopped flashing......short period of time afterwards , during this time a radio system installed and the amp in the trunk on the l/h side was removed from fcning in the systewm as well as the radio (factory) the alarm sets and car will not start .... sprayed fluid into throttle body cars starts but doersnt stay running .....check all fuses several times crank sensors and so forth .... found them to be in normal condition i thought.....the dash lights ( 3 of them ) flash rapid ly until cars running
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you might have a later version drive authorization system. Can you post your vin number for me so I can look up some diagrams? Can you also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few seconds then reconnecting it and try locking and unlocking the car then see if it will start? Can you also tell me if you have power to the injectors when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wdbga32e6pa083944 the drivers key door lock is broken have already tried thaT once but will try it again.......i dont beleieve that there vis pwr to trhe injectors i ran a hot wire and ground to make them work and when i unplug my inline fuse it stops immediately
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
I need to know for certain if there is battery voltage to the injectors with the key on. Disconnect all of your jumpers and connect everything the way it should be then turn the key on and see if you have voltage at one of the two terminals to in the injector plugs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes there is
That means no pulse to injectors + spark = bad ecu or wiring.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
If you have spark and you have power to the injectors it's possible that the key that you are using is faulty. You have your anti theft alarm system which disables the starter but you also have your drive authorization system which disables the injector pulse if the key is not recognized. If the car were in the shop I would first scan the systems for fault codes with the Mercedes tester. If there were drive authorization codes that point to the key I would order a new key and try it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one more question then , if it is the key why would it work for a period of time then stop ? did it take it that long to reqognize ? you are correct there is no pulse at the injectors just power
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is there no way to bypass this alarm system ?
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, I was having some trouble determining which version of the drive authorization system was present on your car. I was finally able to determine that your car does not use the key transponder. In that case I would say that your problem is not with any alarm or security system. If you have no injector pulse the problem would have to be the ECM or the connector or wiring. You can install a used ECM in this model without any programming as long as it comes from the same model and the part numbers match. I would inspect the connector at the ECM and if all looks good I woul try to get my hands on a used ECM and see if that solves the problem.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
`ok thks for your help your sure abouit this keyless remote because the door does flash green aND red when you lock and unlock the doors this means notrhing about the alarm system ...how can i determine which drive authoriztion it has ? i appreciate your help
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

one more thing the alarm lights do blink on the dash in several spots when the keys is turned on does that make a difference

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes I am sure about the keyless entry. The red light shoud flash when you lock the car and the green should flash when you unlock. Can you tell me more about the lights that blink on the dash?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes the fuel gauge light , the oil pressure light and the fasteb seat belt lights blink rapidly when key is turned on itno second position then when starting car until cars started.......now shortly ago i went to car to get exact lights that blinked batter was unhooked for several days now and also was extremely low voltage i jumped the car off ( with my wires i used to supply alternate pwr to the injectors disconnected ) car started and ran good for few minutes although the gauges did not work like oil pressure and mpg gauge oil gauge may be different wiring problem tho .........turned off the car and started it couple times then it went back to the previous state of no start until i supplied pwr to the injectors the lights still blink as they werre on the dash in both conditions..... this is one problem i would gladly have given away
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I did not realize that the car would start without the jumpers. Are you sure you have enough battery voltage? Are you sure that at the times when the car will not start that there is power to the injectors? Maybe the base module is bad and you have low voltage to the injectors or low voltage to the ecm. You might try starting the car by only applying power to the injectors and not the ground. Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes , yesterday i took out my pwr jumper and cut the ground the battery was dead so i jumped off the car just out of curiousty...it started and and smooth.turned it off hooked the ground up it became rougher....removed ground again and then with car off put in my pwer jumper and started the car it was somewhat rough not to bad tho but lots of smoke from the fuel coming out of tail pipe so while it was running i took out my pwr jumper removed it the carbecame much smoother like it should be , however , the car ran for a short period of time and shutoff and did not restart it acted like it wanted to but didnt do to lack of fuel.....i reinstalled my pwr jumper it fired right off immediately quick....so as it was running i took out my jumper the car so then after died a minute or so.....would not restart but as before it wanted to just not enough fuel.....now ,, like a time before this before we talked even the battery went dead and when jumped off it somewhat went back to normal status for only brief time as i have said then back to where it wont start do to lack of fuel.....pls tell me in the b/m which unit is the ecmi do appreciate all and will tip you thks jerald
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi jerald, I'm trying to follow what you are doing there. Where are you connecting the power jumper? The base module is the module with the fuses that I had you check earlier. If this car starts and runs without any jumpers some of the time I do not think that you have a bad ecm just yet. I think this is more likely to be a bad base module but you need to give me some more details.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sry that part of the harness covers the injectors the sensors on coolant neck and couple more things in that area....new harness dont know where boss baught it from but it cost a couple hundred dollars or more......now thats the only part of the harness i changed and i believe is good...now dont laugh to much jsut until it hurts ok if not for you digging around in my brain i probably wouldn't hv rememberred this for awhile......the harness below the intake around starter oil pressure gauge and few more things also has that mercedes wire rot going on there are at leasdt 3 more items that all the insdulation ihas dissappeared from its wires as soonm as i moved them around it fired right up and ran for few minsb which it should have....i blelieve these wires going into conduit run into the car and its gauges im hoping now i can repasir these my self hopefully with sspectacular results.......thks mucho !!! i'll let you know outcome if you want app it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok here we go as mentioned before upper harness replaced to injectors and sensors on top of engine......

now , lwr part of harness goes to the oil pressure switch , starter ( white/purple) and oil sensor inside oil pan......not sure if it also a cutooff sensor or not ..........NONE OF THESE WIRES HAVE INSULATION ON THEMFROM ENGINE AREA ALTHE WAY INTO THRU THE METAL CONDUIT IT GOES INTO BEFORE GOING THRU THE FIREWALL ON THE PASSENGER FLOOR AREA....

so , i already know white/purple wire is for the starter im sure , however the remaining wires are exactly the same size in diamter thats my propblem so it cannot be reasoned out ............

inside the car coming from that conduite thru firewall the colors arte white/ purple ...blue....brown/blk strip..........brown/yellow stripe.......brown/green strip.........these wires are the ones i need to which component they go to either oil press switch or the sensor inside oil pan........

white/purple

blue

brown/blk stripe

brown/yellow stripe

brown/green stripe...,..

it wouldnt be to hartd to believe if this was my complete cause of this situation or not im just hoping it is can you help me once again pls....thks jerald

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jerald, I'm sorry that I missed your replies last week. I've listed the wire assignments below. Let me know if you need anything else.

white/purple - starter

blue - alternator

brown/blk stripe - oil level sensor

brown/yellow stripe - oil pressure sensor (terminal 2)

brown/green stripe - oil pressure sensor (terminal 1)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No big deal i do appreciate all the work and info you have helped me with on this car ..i forgot to ask your opinion of whether or not these wires possibly may be the terrible monster of this problem /

Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, yes I suspect that the harness is the source of your problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
one last thing before i acccept your answer trust me i know what kind of value that can be put on this stuff...im exctremely hard working person and only try to help those who have been taken advantage of like used car lots ....they deserve to be taken care of right an dthats what im trying to do .....anyway , i replaced that par t of the lower harness which you gave me there perspective components.it worked out great ....this car starts and runs now everytime you crank it up.....however , the gauges do not work oil pressure fuel mpg etc....i used the key to reset the alarm on passenger doorside , the never was a red light only white light and green light ...the remote if i remeber correctly there was a red lgith green lgiht ? its been to long to be sure .what would it tsake for you to send me a few wiring diagrams of these systems ? lets see if we can wor out somnething pls........thks jerald
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi jerald, glad you got it working. I will be away until later tonight. I'll post some diagrams asap.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi jerald, sorry for the delay, I got back pretty late last night. I have attached the wiring diagram and legend for the instrument cluster below. Let me know if you need anything else.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Legend

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
due you just dont know how very much i appreciate all this which you have helped me on this car..i used to work for used car lot the only mechanic there and i have never seen such things as i did there people treatment and the cars i had to repair .plain crazy thats why i tried to go above and beyond my repair work for people buying their cars and that was even if i would get paid to do it i did it ....ill tell you in person here's my numberr if you wish(NNN) NNN-NNNN i'll check my friends card and will be more than happy to pay you with whatever i can off their card when they get home...........the car does run i have checked it for the third day now starts everytime like it should just no instruments yet....i'll be back intouch thk jerald
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome jerald. I am happy to help. Unfortunately I cannot call as it is against JA rules for us to have contact outside of this forum but I greatly appreciate the compliments. I'm glad the car is working now. Let me know if you need anything.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well that s .....anyway , the reason for those diagrams is so that i can find common link as to why the gauges rpm speedo , fuel mpg , oil pressure aren't working......also ,we talked about the alarm lights on the door handle one is red and one is green i rmember that from when the infrared remote was working....but now one lights is white why ? also ,is there something someone can do to the car to make it smoke badly or is this just a coincicdence
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SRY 93 500sel v8 throttle body it seems that the asr light on thiscar also has come on now the throttle body linkage seems to have free play until about half way then the butterfly starts opening up.....this free play is it due to the asr motor in the throttle body if so is it hard to fix
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi jerald, sorry I couldn't get back to you yesterday. If you have all of your power inputs to the cluster the usual failure is the cluster itself. Click here for a company that may be able to repair your cluster.

As far as the light in the handle goes, what usually happens is the lens discolors from age and no longer gives you the colored light.

On the smoking, it depends on what color the smoke is. White smoke could be engine coolant, moisture buildup in the exhaust or transmission fluid burning. Blue smoke would tend to be motor oil.

On your ASR problem, the throttle is in limp home mode. That same company that fixes the clusters can also test and rebuild the throttle actuator if needed.

Let me know if you need anything.