MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

E350: oil leak..the rubber camshaft seals..driver side..oil change

On my 2008 MB E350, I have an oil leak diagnosed by an non-MB mechanic as coming from one of the rubber camshaft seals on the driver side of the car. When I google this problem I get a LOT of hits and it seems like this is a known problem with these cars.

When I last took it for an oil change the leak was there, but the MB shop told me that the car had no problem. Is this something that I should worry about? If I should worry about it, is this something that MB should cover as a known defect even though my car is out of warranty?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 4 years ago.

If this is a leak from the plastic caps at the rear of the cylinder heads for the camshafts then yes, this is a common leak point on this engine.

The caps will only cost a few $ and just prise out & push into place so is a quick, easy repair.

If the leak was there when you last took it in then yes, they should have done the repairs, but it may be far easier just to get your mechanic to replace these!

Best regards, Paul