MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

Mercedes-Benz CLK350: Good morning. The SRS warning light in

Good morning. The SRS warning light in my 2006 CLK350 came on along with a warning in the multi function display that there was a SRS malfunction. I made two stops and during that time my wife stayed in the car rather than going into the store with me. The engine was turned off in both cases. Could this have caused the warning? Thanks and Happy New Year!

This would not cause the SRS warning to come on - a fault has been detected & a diagnostic tool is needed to read & erase the fault codes to turn the warning light off.

The fault can be caused by various things - poor contacts to the airbag modules can be a common cause on this model but could also be various sensor faults. The diagnostic check should pinpoint the cause.

Happy new year to you too!

Best regards, Paul
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. I am trying to schedule an appointment at the local MB dealership Monday morning-I left a message since they are not open over the New Years weekend. Is the car safe to drive over the weekend? My concern is that the airbag may deploy spontaneously. Thanks again.

It is extremely unlikely that they would deploy themselves - generally the biggest concern is that they would not deploy if needed in an accident.