Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Mercedes-Benz GL450: I drive a gl430 and back hatch door will

I drive a gl430 and back hatch door will not shut and the way and lock. Seems like the lach does not engage. The rest of the door lock and unlock, but it will not lock. Any thoughts?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

When you press the button to lock or unlock the tail gate are any noises heard at all?

Is the door latching closed but not locking at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The latch will open and close, just won't lock. When it closes is tries to shut, but open again like it has hit something, but there is nothing blocking. Maybe a problem with the latch on the hatch door itself?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
O.k.

This is a common issue on this model here as I have seen and have had to repair before.

Most of the time the striker can be adjusted out closer to the latch when it closes so the latch can grab it easier and then suck itself closed.

This is done by removing the plastic panel above the striker then loosening the two bolts that hold the striker in place,then slide the striker out just a small mount and tighten the bolts,then see if the door closes and locks properly.

If it still does not the other fault I have seen and have had to replace is the latch itself as these can fail internally and will cause this here.Most of the time the adjustment of the striker will resolve this issue.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!