Super mechanic
Super mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. troubleshooting, diag. electrical, collision
2947720

1997 SL320: leaking oil..new head gasket..Benz..new mb head gasket

Customer Question

I have a 1997 SL320 that is leaking oil and have been informed by an independant mechanic that it needs a new head gasket. After reading the BenzWorld.org I understand that I need to make sure I get the new MB head gasket as the aftermakets leak. What is the part # XXXXX the head gasket I need and where is the best place to get it. I will purchase it and my mechanic will install it. Thanks
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Super mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. If you need any more on it just let me know. About your vehicle.

1997 Mercedes Benz SL 320 (129.063) L6-3.2L (104.991)

The part number is,

Parts Information
Part OEM Part Price
Cylinder Head Gasket
3 - Head Gasket 1040162320 $100.00
Labor Skill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Cylinder Head Gasket
Replace B 8.5 14.0
Includes: Clean Carbon & Make All Necessary Adjustments.

The dealership would be the place to get that.

They are also available after market, for about half the price.

Everything Benz

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The local dealer refuses to sell the new improved head gasket to independant mechanics so I need to know where else I can purchase it and when you mention after market are you referring to the mechanic or the head gasket?
There are plenty of after market places to get it HERE is one, (just click where it says here) Ebay is another.

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE; YOU MUST HIT THE ACCEPT BUTTON TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*
*

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
After checking the url you sent me to they are the aftermarket gaskets that I've been warned against using by MB owners on BenzWorld.org. Where can I get the XXXXXXXXXX at other than a MB dealer?

That is all the information that I have on it, but wait there may be another expert who has more. I will opt out and open it back up. Please don’t reply to this post as that will lock the question back to me, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.