Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

There a way to release the gas cap ccover on an 04 sl 500..wont open

is there a way to release the gas cap ccover on an 04 sl 500 that wont open by pressing on as usual
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Does this vehicle have the fuel door that you press on and it releases the lock and pops open or the fuel door that you press on and it tilts to open when pressed on?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you press on and pops open
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Does it feel like it is still locked?

If so look on the inside of the trunk when the trunk is open,on allot of these vehicles there was a small release handle that is connected to the fuel door release by a cable and you can pull this handle and it should open/unlock the fuel door.
This handle should be on the same side of the interior of the trunk as the fuel door is on.
Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I could not find a release handle or cable so I pulled the carpeting back, I can see what looks like a round black cylinder that has a yellow wire or tube connected to it and a pressure relief or equalizing nossle.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Try locking and unlocking the doors and fuel door with the key a few times and at the same time try to open the fuel door and see if it releases then.

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That did it!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you. The consumer battery was discharged from not driving the car. Do think that was the cause or should I take in for service? Thanks again.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Yes,low voltage will cause this problem.I would have the battery recharged fully in the trunk and then tested to make sure it is o.k.You don't want it dying out again while driving as this can leave you stranded.

If you feel satisfied with my answer please click accept as this is how I get credited for my time.

Thanks Pete!

Let me know if you need anything else in the future.