Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, Master tech. 10+ years, SAE member
30385560

2004 Wagon: experiencing a vibration at various sppeeds..matic

Customer Question

I am experiencing a vibration at various sppeeds with my E500 4-Matic 2004 Wagon. I am being told it could be the tranfer case and or the transmission. Any thoughts? and if it is as I am being told how expensive is it to repair?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Billy replied 5 years ago.

Billy :

Hello and thank you for using Just answer! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this. Feel free to ask if further info is needed.

Billy :

First you need to make sure you have all wheels balanced conrrectly.

Billy :

Having done that, you should next check the drive shafts, propeller shaft etc....(all the transmission shafts), if any is loose, or a flector is loose etc....

Billy :

For that, you need to raise the vehicle and check visually all drive axles shafts etc....and pay special care to connection points (joints, flectors).....

Customer :

The wheels have been balanced and the alinment has also been done with no help. The car kind of shutters at various speeds and especially when going up hills.

Billy :

ok....

Billy :

is it most evident when you are accelerating.....especially when climbing hills and at low rpm?

Billy :

As if that is the case, the most likely culprit woudl be some worn flector (joint)........so check these....

Billy :

And i would replace the transmission fluid and filter while at it.

Billy :

These will most likely sort the problem (a worn flector or equivalent)........

Billy :

Thank you for trusting JA and myself.......get back to me if further info is needed.....positive feedback and bonuses appreciated...

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/