Stan
Stan, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Technical support engineer
16766657

Mercedes-Benz ML320 How difficult is it ti install an AUX

How difficult is it to install an AUX input jack for the stock sound system in a 2002 ML320?

Diagnostics Engineer :

There is no factory solution, but you can install Ipod Gateway from this company:

Diagnostics Engineer :

http://www.cartronics.com/MBD2B.html

Diagnostics Engineer :

The data is transferred over fibre-optic cable, so sound quality is very good.

Diagnostics Engineer :

regards, Stan

Customer:

Thank you. But since the CD changer is in the rear of the ML320 it's not clear to me that this would be practical or exactly where the iPod would go? And would the CD changer still function? A bit speedy too - especially for a 9 year-old vehicle! I was hoping for a more economically reasonable solution. I suppose I should have asked how difficult and/or how expensive. I'll certainly accept your answer so that you'll be paid but hope you can elaborate a bit on the questions concerning the CD changer. Thx! Michael

Customer:

Meant spendy...

Diagnostics Engineer :

Hi Michael,
The gateway can be installed next to the radio or in a glovebox, because there is a optical cable running from CD changer to radio headunit. The cost for this device is quite high, because there is a Mercedes-specific optical communication needed send the sound signal correctly. I am not aware of any cheaper possibility to hook up Aux to D2B optical cable.
CD changer cannot be used when gateway is connected

Customer:

One last question. Can one "switch" between CD changer and this unit and if so how involved is the change-over?