Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

2006 Mercedes Benz E350: esp..and flashing and the car stalls

I am working on my 2006 Mercedes Benz E350. I am having trouble with the ESP system. The yellow triangle light is on and flashing and the car stalls. What is causing this? Is there a sensor controlling this? I can't move the car very far, because it thinks it is skidding, and the road is dry.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

This indicates there has been a fault detected in the ESP/ABS system.If severe enough like this is it can shut down the engine.

This can be related to a number of different components causing this from faulty sensors,wiring,or even an internal control unit failure.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked in the ESP/ABS unit,once this has been done it can be diagnosed as to what is at fault and then repaired.A dealer is recommended for this but any shop that has a scan tool that can communicate with this vehicle will work as well.

This could be due to a faulty yaw rate or lateral acceleration sensor as these are common to fail and cause issues like this to where the vehicles computer thinks it is in a skid situation.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where are these sensors located?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
The lateral acceleration sensor is located under the front passenger seat under the carpeting,it is a small black box with a small wiring connector connected to it.

The seat has to be removed then the carpet peeled back to access it.

The yaw rate sensor is also in the same location next to this sensor.

It is most common to see the yaw rate sensor cause this but it is hard to say for sure from exactly what is causing this without having the fault codes checked.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The fault code is 6210. Does that sound good?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Do you have a description of the fault code by chance as this number doesn't show up with my system?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The car is with my mechanic right now. He said the code doesn't come with a description
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
O.k.

My info doesn't show anything for this fault code,this may be a code the dealer has access to and can diagnose but my info doesn't have any info on this.I also googled the code to see if I could find it elsewhere and didn't locate it either.

Most likely it will be one of the two sensors at fault most likely the yaw rate sensor but it is hard to say for sure from here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay. I will change both sensors before I take it anywhere else. I can't afford the dealers prices. But thanks a lot.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Your welcome,I hope my info helped in some way here and hopefully you can get it resolved.

If you are going to change out the sensors anyways then I would start with the yaw rate sensor first and see if that doesn't correct the fault,this may save you some money.