Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz C230: remote key..diagram..the alarm wont arm or disarm

Mercedes-Benz C230: HI! my remote key is not working. i changed the battery by following the battery diagram on the battery holder and properly replaced the battery. the alarm wont arm or disarm using the remote. whats going on?

eurotec :

Hi, does the remote lock and unlock the doors?

Customer:

no

eurotec :

Ok, did it work before you replaced the batteries?

Customer:

no

Customer:

ive been researching this problem in forums... and found somethig very disturbing

eurotec :

What was that?

Customer:

i found out that it can be a faulty antenna amplifier... i did just tint my rear window yesterday

eurotec :

It's possible, if that were the case the remote should still unlock the car if you put it right next to the door handle.

Customer:

hold on i will go try that right now

eurotec :

ok

Customer:

it didnt work... i tried all doors

eurotec :

Ok, that sounds more like a bad remote control. Do you have a spare?

Customer:

i tried the spare too and nothing...

eurotec :

Did all of the windows get tinted or just the rear window?

Customer:

i had tints on it before, ever since i got my car in '03. i just replaced the rear window tint because it had started to fade. my remote has been working ever since... until today, the day after replacing my rear window tint.

eurotec :

Ok, the door locks receive the remote signal in 2 different ways, through the antenna and through the receivers in the front door handles. If the door locks do not work when activating the remote when pointing it at the handle from close range I would have to suspect a remote problem. I assume that the car starts and the car battery is not dead. In order to diagnose the problem the car will need to be connected to the Mercedes Star Diagnostic tester to check for fault codes throughout the system. Even if the antenna were damaged the car should still unlock using the infrared signal of the remotes.

Customer:

i see... so the only option i have is to go to a MBZ dealership and get it checked?

Customer:

i was going to go to a MBZ dealership anyways, but i feared the COST

eurotec :

At this point that would be best. You should only authorize an initial diagnosis of the system.

eurotec :

I do not see this being an antenna problem if the doors don't unlock from up close.

eurotec :

Although it is possible that there are multiple problems.

Customer:

*sigh*... problems problems problems... something i dont need during these times

eurotec :

I completely understand :-(

Customer:

thanks! can i go to a mechanic other than MBZ?

eurotec :

Yes you can, as long as they specialize in Mercedes repairs and have the factory level scan tool.

Customer:

thats great!

eurotec :

Most independent Mercedes specialists have Star Diagnosis or the equivalent.

Customer:

ok.

Customer:

i guess thats it then...

Customer:

thank you for your help

eurotec :

You're quite welcome

eurotec :

Please remember to click Accept so I receive credit for my help.