Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2003 e320: change transmission fluid..wont move

Customer Question

change transmission fluid in a 2003 e320 it goes into gear but wont move
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

Hi, most likely you put the transmission fluid into the wrong dipstick tube or you have not added enough fluid to the transmission.

Customer:

I've attached a picture of the transmission dipstick tube cap below.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Did your cap look like that or was it a red cap?

Customer :

red cap and i change the Dorset plate

Customer :

3

Customer:

If the cap was a red cap you inadvertently have put the transmission fluid into the motor.

Customer:

You need to drain the engine oil and refill it with the proper amount of motor oil and then add the proper amount of transmission fluid to the tube for the transmission.

Customer:

It is a very common mistake that is made when replacing the transmission fluid.

Customer :

can i get back with you in not at home so that i can go into more details

Customer:

Yes you can, but please don't forget to click Accept so that I receive credit for my help.

Customer:

I'll be taking a short dinner break as well. Reply back if you need more help with it.

Customer :

will i have to pay all over again to finish

Customer:

No you can just save a link to this question and reply back at any time.

Customer:

If the cap that you removed to add the transmission fluid looked like the one below then you have added the transmission fluid to the motor. Do not run the motor until you drain all of the motor oil and refill it. Then locate the transmission filler tube with the black cap over it and add your transmission fluid. The tube is located at the passenger side rear of the motor.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Let me know if you need more help with it.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Scroll Up to read my replies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i didnt get this message i had to leave

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, just scroll up to read my replies.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it dont look like that

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
What part are you looking at? What color is the cap that you removed to fill the transmission.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is black

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
The other day you told me it was red? Did the cap look like the one below?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
It seems like I've lost you again. As I explained the other day, it is a very common mistake to pour the transmission fluid into the engine oil dipstick tube rather than the transmission dipstick tube. If you have removed your pan again and found no fluid in the pan then the only place that it could have gone is into the engine. You will need to drain the engine oil and refill it with fresh oil and then pour the transmission fluid into the correct tube.