Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

windshield wipers stop working correctly.

hi,
Regarding r129 1993. the windshield wipers stop working correctly. It runs for a while but stops in half of the windshield. I tried to change the engine but it was the same error. Is it the wiper relay that is broken?
need help here

greets Calle Sweden
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi Calle, a common problem with the wiper system is lack of lubrication on the wiper pivot.

eurotec :

The pivot will eventually seize up after running awhile and stop.

eurotec :

You might try removing the wiper arm and applying some lubricant to the wiper shaft and see if that helps.

eurotec :

If the wipers are actually losing power to the motor then yes I would suspect the relay but I have found the mechanism to be the problem when the wipers actually stop moving.

eurotec :

I'm stepping out for a short while and will check in when I return.

Customer:

hallo, thanks ill try that. I also have a proplem with my cruise control, perhaps we can talk about it later?

Customer:

'But it does not jam, it can not find the "P" mode?

Customer:

parking mode

eurotec :

Ok, do you mean that when you turn the wiper off it parks in the wrong position?

eurotec :

Or do you mean that the wiper stops wiping even though the switch is still turned on?

Customer: Hi, both..
eurotec :

Ok, if the wipers park in the same spot every time then it's just a matter of removing the motor and timing the linkage properly so that when the motor parks itself the wiper is down.

eurotec :

If the motor stops working while the switch is still on I would suspect that the mechanism is binding. I would try to help the wiper along and see if it continues to wipe. If the motor is just dead and acts like there is no power to the motor then I would dudpect a bad relay or fuse.

eurotec :

A little voltage testing would be necessary to accurately diagnose the fault.

Customer: Hmm, ok I only changed the motor not the mechanism. ill have to try change all. What kind of fault apears when the relay is broken?
eurotec :

When the relay fails you will lose power to the motor.

eurotec :

And the motor will stop pretty much anywhere on the windshield.

eurotec :

Make sure to replace fuse 11 in the fuse box for the wipers.

Customer: Ok, in intervall mode it doesnt work at all, or only one sweep. Then it stops in the middle of the windsheild.
eurotec :

That sounds like a bad relay on top of the fact that the motor is probably timed incorrectly.

Customer: It refuse to go to parking mode, the engine does not feel week...
Customer: How do I time the motor ?
eurotec :

You need to remove the motor from the linkage and then turn it on and back off again while it is disconnected to allow it to got into the park position then you need to place your wiper arm in the parked position then assemble the motor to the linkage.

eurotec :

Just to clarify, your motor must be plugged into the harness connector but disconnected from the linkage to place it into the park position.

Customer: Wow, seems that my sparetime will be fully boked next couple of weekends;)...I just wonder here, Can the motor go "of time" without reason? I bought a used motor with mecanism, maybe my motor is ok and I only have to time it and buy a relay insted. But that leeds me to my q if the motor just can go of time?
eurotec :

The motor can only go out of time if the nut loosens on the shaft.

Customer: hmmm, strange. I think nothing on the mechanism ever been touched. The preowner did not loose anything.
eurotec :

If the motor consistently parks in the same spot every time it has to be a timing problem.

Customer: It dosent parks on the same spot,, it parks random on the wind shield
eurotec :

If it parks randomly I would replace the wiper relay first.

Customer: Ok, Ill do that. I will return to you. Many thanks.
eurotec :

You're quite welcome

Customer: Ohh when this is over , perhaps you can guide me with my problem with my C controll, it has power in the harness but will not function
eurotec :

Absolutely, just reply back when you are ready.

Customer: Bye for now, regards Calle
eurotec :

bye

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my orginal larm remote key seems to "forget" it self. When I lock the I can unlock it direclty but after a few hours locked and I returns to unlock the car. Nothing happens. I have to open with real key in the doorhandle. If you then do the same thing again everything works , lock n unlock no problem
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Calle, what do you have to do to get the key to work again? Do you need to go through the procedure to synchronize the key?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I just open it with the key, then it works again for an half a hour....
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, is that the only key that you have for the car?If you have a spare does the other key act the same way? When you unlock the driver's door with the key do the other doors unlock also?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, I do have a spare but isnt the orginal key. It works the same way as my other key, That is the master key....
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, can you tell me if the passenger door unlocks when you use the key in the driver's door?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi back to the wiper proplem, relay is now replaced. Still same fault. So the motor and relay is replaced.
Hmmmm
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
That's not making a lot of sense. Can you give me the part number of the relay that you replaced?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok XXXXXXXXXX
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
The number was blocked by the system. Could you retype the number but put the letter A at the beginning of the number?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok A0015427919
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I may not be understanding the problem. Can you tell me why you replaced the wiper motor in the first place? Can you explain once again what the exact symptom symptoms are?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi, ok I filmed the problem, its now on You tube, search for "Wiper problem r129"

(MrCaalle is my youtube nicname)

hope you understand the problem better this way...

have a nice day

Calle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi I think this will work..

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=SE#/watch?v=vN7KJpobWC8

//Calle
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Calle, excellent video! Let me study the wiring diagram tomorrow and I'll reply back. Can you tell me what happens when you just press the wiper switch in at the end to wash the windshield? Can you also tell me if the old motor acted the same way? Is there anything else on the car electrically that is malfunctioning?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

god morgning(in Sweden anyway)Laughing

Same thing happens when I wash the windshield, old motor acted the same way. after a long while(7-10 min) going on speed 2 the wiper stops, in speed 3 it seems to function correctly without stopping or binding, but never goes in parking mode...at any speed...?

Other malfunctions?, there is this thing with the C. controll. it dosent work. I´v got power in the harness from the c.controll switch, but the c.controll engine dosent reply.

Previos owner claims that c.controll did work before he changed the steeringwheel from orginal to some "woodlike" nightmare(non airbag) the pre. owner has also messed with the airbag function becuase of that. So my airbag isnt installed. I have to remove the ressistens with a new wirering cable.

And again the windshield switch is new, my first idea was that it was badly installed and that is there reason for all this problem, and the changed of the wheel..but perhaps there is no way to do it wrong?

//C

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, how is it going?

//C
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi Calle, sorry I got busy and lost track of this question. There are two relays involved here. The wiper relay and the N10 combination relay. In watching the video I see the motor stopping wherever you happen to turn the switch off rather than continuing to run to it's park position. The N10 relay keeps the wiper motor going until it gets to the park position. I suppose at this point you need to try a new N10 relay. If the car were in the shop I would be testing each input and output from the N10 and the wiper relay. I'm bothered by the fact that the motor stops when running for 10 minutes in position 2. I'd prefer to see you do some voltage checks at the motor to see if you are losing voltage to the motor when it stops in position 2.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, great maybe we getting somwhere, where is de relay N 10 located?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And do you have the part number?
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I meant to post a picture for you. The part number is XXXXX 820 10 26 or 129 820 49 26. They are interchangeable.

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok many thanks so far, before we go further I have to try to do a voltage check as you said. when I started it yesterday the wiper stopped immediately half of the windshield. This relay N 10 is expensive so I must be sure, or as sure I can be before I replace it...I let you know soon..

/C

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
I've attached some wiring diagrams below. Print them out and put them together.I've also attached the pinout values.

Wiring Diagram / Part 1
Wiring Diagram / Part 2
Legend
Diagnostics

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, ok I will try this know with my mechanic friend, he´s Audi/VW specalist with 25 years of experince, but I think he will manage an MB too. It will take a few days though. I feel you helped me very much already, hope we solve this fault. I may have one option, The N 10 is it the same for every model to 2001? I have a friend that own a 2001 model SL 500(r129), can I try his relay to quickly see and without cost locate the problem?

In between I have a nother question...

When you do oil service on this engine, M 103. six cylinder,what oil do you recomend? (its running know 140000 km) The thing is that I can get Castrol Magnatec SLX proffesionell 5W-40 for allmost free of charge, I´m talking real cheap!, like free, the Castrol GTX 15W-40 or Mobil 1 15W-40 everone says (my mechanic friends) is the oil I should use on that "old" engine, they will cost me full price though. What do you say?