Auto Psychic
Auto Psychic, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  semiretired mercedes benz master guild technician w 4+ decades of diagnosis and repair experience

Mercedes-Benz SL600 I have a 1998 SL600. The soft top will

I have a 1998 SL600. The soft top will not go up. The windows are working properly and when I engage the red switch it flashes and makes noise but does not raise the top.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Auto Psychic replied 3 years ago.

Auto Psychic :

hi, i'll be happy to help you in anyway i can.

Auto Psychic :

sorry to hear of your misfortune :(

Auto Psychic :

this is the third one of these today.

Auto Psychic :

do you know how to raise the top manually, per the owners manual, like you got caught in the rain?

Customer:

Well, my son drove the car last and so this will help the harmony in the house. Yes, I read how to raise the top manually.

Auto Psychic :

the special tool is in the tool kit, get your son to help, that should add to harmony as well.

Auto Psychic :

windows and roll bar down.

Customer:

OK. If I raise it manually, will that reset the automatic system?

Auto Psychic :

as i write this if the roll bar is up and wont go down. thats your problem.

Auto Psychic :

what were trying to do my raising it manually is relearn all the stops.

Customer:

No, it goes down. The red light blinks but does not do anything.

Auto Psychic :

you may have to do this several times, up and down.

Auto Psychic :

be patient.

Auto Psychic :

let me know how it goes,

Auto Psychic :

good luck,

Auto Psychic :

gary

Customer:

Does this mean that the module is out?

Auto Psychic :

thats good on the roll bar, it can stop operation.

Auto Psychic :

doubt its the module, thats always our last resort.

Customer:

The roll bar goes up and down. Does that mean the module is not out?

Auto Psychic :

is the hydraulic fluid under the spare tire ok?

Customer:

I have not checked. Do I just pull up the spare tire and it is there?

Auto Psychic :

we'll save the module for last, we dont want it to be the module, and it usually never is

Customer:

OK. I'll go do the manual raising. Are you saying that I need to manually raise and lower it several times? Should I try to lower it mechanically after I raise it manually?

Auto Psychic :

you'll see it, its under a plastic cover, but i thing you can check the fluid without pulling up the cover.

Auto Psychic :

no, i would put it up once manually, reserve the procedure and put it down, then put it up manually a second time, then try it hydraulically.

Auto Psychic :

aint this fun :)

Auto Psychic :

keep me posted,

Auto Psychic :

gary

Customer:

Yes. It is a blast. I'll let you know what happens.

Customer:

OK. We raised and lowered the top twice. Then tried to do mechanically. The red light just flashed. We checked hydraulic fluid and it is full. We checked fuses and they are good. Any suggestions?

Auto Psychic :

first, if i didnt mention it, synchronize the windows by holding each switch in the down and then the up position for 5 seconds after the window is fully open and closed. this teaches the soft top where the windows are. it wont work other wise.

Auto Psychic :

and finally a long shot.

Auto Psychic :

disconnect the battery and touch or jumper the two battery cables together for 30 seconds. this discharges all the capacitors in the vehicle and might erase any diagnostic trouble codes.

Auto Psychic :

beyond that i'm afraid your going to need some professional help from someone with a dedicated mercedes scan tool.

Auto Psychic :

keep me posted,

Auto Psychic :

good luck,

Auto Psychic :

gary

Auto Psychic :

p.s i'm only batting 666, got the other two going

Auto Psychic, Mercedes Technician
Experience: semiretired mercedes benz master guild technician w 4+ decades of diagnosis and repair experience