Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2003 SLK320: stereo code..correct code

I need the stereo code for a 2003 SLK320. Fellow JA expert here, will definitely accept for correct code.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, I won't be able to get your code until Tuesday. Are you able to wait until then?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well..... I may try to find it another way, would be nice to cruise with the top down and radio on, since it is a holiday weekend. But if I don't find it, I will send you the VIN and you can get it for me on Tuesday....
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, I will opt out for now in case one of the other experts can get it sooner.
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
It looks like know one has been able to get your code this weekend. If you still need help just post your vin number and I'll look up your code in the morning.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK, I stopped by the local Mercedes dealership, and they gave me 2 possible codes. Lets assume that the code was entered incorrectly several times. I have read that the radio then goes into a lockout mode for 24 hours. But it has now been 3 days, and it still says "wait." What does it actually take for this 24 hour period to pass. Obviously, no one ever leaves their car running for 24 hours in a row, so does this mean it adds up time only when the car is running? If I left the car in accessory mode, would this count?? Even though that would likely run the battery down..... in other words, how to I get back to the code input screen?
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, you do not need to have the car running you just need to have the key turned to position 1 and the radio turned on until WAIT changes to CODE. In some cases it can take 24 hours and the time is not cumulative. If you turn anything off the waiting period starts all over again. You may need to connect a trickle charger if it takes more than a couple of hours to reset.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, the radio finally started working. I had only driven about 15 minutes tonight when the code input popped up. I used the codes I got from the dealer, and it worked, So I am going to accept your answer.

Now can you point me in the right direction for a bonus. Almost instantly after the radio came on, so did the battery light on the dash..... followed by the ESP light and the SRS light. So I headed for home, didn't make it. The car died and would not restart. So I looked at the battery, it was 4 years old, so I figured I would swap it out, at least it might get me home. The car started up, and ran fine, and I made it home. The other lights went out, but the battery light remained. Do you think its the alternator, and is that something I could change myself? I have changed dozens of alternators on American made cars..... or are there just too many things it could be, and I should take it to the local Mercedes dealership....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your work so far....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh, by the way. I am thinking that they had some battery issues with the car on the lot where I bought it. The sales lady said the radio worked when the car came in, but by the time the pictures were taken for the internet listing, it read CODE EJ. So that tells me that by that time, the battery had went dead, and they had either boosted it, or stuck a different battery in it. Oddly enough, it drove like a dream 8 hours to get it home, but now it seems the battery is discharging, what should I do?
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
That's going to most likely be a bad alternator on your car. As long as the wires are connected to the alternator it is not likely to be anything but that. I've attached some instructions.

Remove Alternator
Remove V Belt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, that did the trick. Alternator and radio now working. I sent you a bonus as promised. I am going to be replacing a few things on the cars interior over the next few months, so I am sure I will be needing you again.

The alternator change was a snap. Altogether took only about an hour. I figured I could probably handle it, but your directions were a big help, and you gave me the confidence to try it. Thanks again for all your help, and I will be in touch again soon.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Excellent! I'm glad it went well.