Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Mercedes-Benz SL500 I have a 2005 SL 500. I recently installed

I have a 2005 SL 500. I recently installed a new radio system. I started getting an error "Convenience features temporarily unavailable" I replaced back battery with a battery rated to have more cold start amps. Problem still exists and back battery goes dead in supporting "Keyless Go" start and all Convenience features over night. Is there a progaramming issue involved when changing out from Command radio? Or is this another problem?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

The message you receive here is due to low voltage in the vehicle,once the battery is fully charged this message will go away but it can take some running time or a battery charger to correct this.

The radio you installed most likely interrupted the communications on the vehicle and in turn what happens is some components will stay on or awake and can cause the battery to drain like this when sitting for a period of time.

You will have to have a dealer re code the vehicle to correct this,they may also have to loop some fiber optic components together to correct this as well.

Since this problem started after the battery was replaced then most likely this is the source of the failure that a dealer will have to correct by bypassing some components possibly and re coding some of the vehicles computers with their sds machine.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a voltage level where the Mercedes does not allow future use? Is this done by a relay? What systems stay on or awake? Actually the problem listed above started after the radio was installed and continued after I changed out the battery. What has to be reprogrammed? What fiber needs to be looped? I won't hold you to this but can you give an estimate of what this might cost?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
First I have to make sure here,did you install an after market radio or another factory radio?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
An after market radio. Thus no longer using fiber
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

The dealer will have to loop the fiber optics together using a fiber optic loop together.Then they will have to code the audio system most likely an audio gateway or similar so the rest of the components on the loop operate properly.

What is happening here is the rest of the components on the audio circuit are looking for the radio and since it isn't found they continue to search so they can power down properly,thus draining out the battery.

A dealer will usually charge anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours labor to loop the fiber optic system,re code the system and correct any other faults found in the system.Labor prices vary from dealer to dealer,you would have to contact your nearest dealer on pricing and ask what they would charge in hours to do this.It shouldn't run more then a couple hours time.

You may also have to pay a couple of bucks for the fiber optic connector to loop the cables together.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a diagram or site that shows this circuit which needs to be looped? What needs to be programmed? Can you get specific on what needs to power down and an estimate on how much is being drawn of the battery?

Thanks

Mike Janssen

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I don't know for sure from here how much the amperage draw is on the battery with this fault,it is most likely near or over 100 milliamps and can reach up to 200 milliamps.Normal draw should be around 30 to 50 milliamps.

The circuit that needs looped are the orange fiber optic cables at the rear of the radio on the connector.These two orange cables need to be looped together using a special connector from a dealer so the light in the fiber optics passes from one fiber optic cable to the other at the rear of the radio.

Most likely with this not being done this is keeping the cd changer (if equipped),amplifier,sat radio reciever (if equipped) and audio gateway awake or powered on to where they can draw down the battery like this.

The fiber optic cables have to be looped in order to complete the circuit.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Cool, so you are saying since we are talking miliamps, that if the battery is fully charged it would take awhile for the battery to drain down to loose the "Convenience functions"?

Previously I asked at what level voltage does the "Convenience functions" drop off?

Does the functions which draws off the battery actually pull voltage below this level or is there a timer which just shuts off battery function?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Once the battery is usually below 12 volts when started up then you will get this message until it charges itself back up by the alternator,this can be anywhere from 10 minutes to a few hours depending on how low the charge is in the battery.

The draw wont shut off and neither will the battery,it will continue to drain on the battery until the battery is completely dead.Depending on how large the draw is on the battery this can take overnight or a few days of sitting before it is completely dead.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a diagram or site that shows this circuit which needs to be looped? What needs to be programmed?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I believe the audio gateway control unit is the unit that has to be coded after the circuit has been looped.

With the radio out you should see the two large orange colored fiber optic cables,these are most likely in a separate connector that plugged into your old radio or may be in the large connector that the old radio plugged into.

These two cables have to be hooked together so the light from one of the cables directs the light through the other cable to complete the circuit.These aren't hard to miss at the back of the radio as they should be two large orange fiber optic cables,they look like large orange wires but they are actually light cables for the fiber optic system.Below is a picture similar to what I mean by the fiber optic cables.

graphic

You might also ask after market stereo install facilities what they do when they run across this problem as they may have another method to correct this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
One last question. Once the audio gateway is programmed to show that Command radio is no longer installed would fiber loop work still be needed?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes,the loop is needed in order to complete the circuit or you may still have a battery drain.

It might be a good idea to first contact a local auto stereo install shop first to see what they do in this situation here as they may have another method.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay man thanks for your help. Reply back and I will accept.

Thanks

Mike Janssen

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.

Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oops, I have one more question. Can I reopen a question if any other issue related to this question comes up?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes,you can come back here at any time after the accept if you need more info or help.

Thanks Pete!

Just bookmark this page or come back through your emails.
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician