Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2004 c240: the transmission fluid..dip stick..slipping..changing gears

Where do i check the transmission fluid in a 2004 c240. I have bought the dip stick.
The transmission is slipping when changing gears. Highway driving is ok, local driving with stop signs and lights shifting is bad. Stop and go driving in trafic jam is very bad. The last can take seconds to change. My wife said at first you could change gears manually with shift, she usually drives this car.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, the transmission dipstick tube is located at the rear of the engine on the passenger side. The tube will be covered with a black cap.

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

Let me start there, I will have to go to the car outside. the car has 50,000 miles on it. do you have any idea at all what this could be. I may get cut off I am conected with a air card that fails sometimes. is there a way we could get back if that happens?

eurotec :

Low fluid would be my first suspicion. If the fluid is low you need to have the transmission inspected for leakage.

eurotec :

If you disconnect just log back into this question.

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

I have found the a cap, the dip stick only seems to go in about half way. I will have to warm the car up also. Can i warm it up in the driveway or will I need to drive a few miles?

eurotec :

You can let it idle in the driveway.

eurotec :

The dipstick only goes in until it touches the bottom of the pan.

eurotec :

It's longer than it needs to be.

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

I am starting the car, I believe I read somewhere the temp has to get to 80 degrees. Is that the water temperature or should it get warmer than that? Also can I use this dip stick for the oil, if I clean it off very well?

eurotec :

I'd get it to 80° on the water temperature gauge and take your reading. You can probably use the dipstick for the oil but you would need to put a mark on the stick. It is not calibrated for the motor oil.

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

I was dicconnected but I think I got back.

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

My fluid level is low, I will get my son to pick up fluid tomorrow. I have heard only to use Mercedes transmission fluid is that true? If i keep fluid in it I should be ok driving, correct?

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

I am in the middle of twenty degree lines, do you have any idea how much fluid it will take?

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

i was disconnected i am back.

eurotec :

Sorry I stepped away for dinner.

eurotec :

You can only use fluid that is approved for the Mercedes 722.6 transmission. You are probably no more than 1 quart low. Add the fluid slowly and check it often as you add the fluid. You don't want to get it overfull.

eurotec :

As far as driving the car knowing there is a leak it is not recommended. The common leak is at the electrical harness connector. Fluid leaking into the connector can travel up the wiring harness and enter the transmission control module and cause all sorts of problems.

eurotec :

Let me know if you need anything else.

JACUSTOMER-gci9u6aw- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX disconnected again last nught and could not get back, I seemed to be going to another advisor, mechanic. I just got on email when I got to work. Is there a way to request a advisor, mechanic in the future.