Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2002 slk 320 mercedes wont start it will not crank but if it sits for a day it tryies to s

Customer Question

2002 slk 320 mercedes wont start it will not crank but if it sits for a day it tryies to start then it does not
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, can you explain what is happening? Are you saying that the starter does not even turn the motor?

Customer:

car started ran about 10 seconds try starting again all it does is crank bought a new battery wont do anything

eurotec :

But it still cranks correct?

eurotec :

It just won't start

Customer:

something is draining the battery over night and also when i try to start the car next morning it crank about three times then does nothing

eurotec :

I'm still not clear on what is happening. Are you describing two different problems now?

Customer:

no it just does not start it will crank after it sit over night the gages does not go off when you take the key out

eurotec :

When you put the new battery in the car did the car start?

Customer:

no

eurotec :

Ok, there are a couple of common problems but you really need to have the car put on a diagnostic tester. These cars are known for bad crankshaft sensors and bad K40 relays. Both can cause a crank no start condition. There are many other possibilities like a fault in the drive authorization system (anti theft) or the fuel pump system. In addition to that you have the other problem with the battery going dead. That may be unrelated to the no start. A parasitic draw test will need to be performed to find out what is draining the battery.

Customer:

will the ring key make it not start if it is broken

eurotec :

Yes it will. Usually when that happens it will start and die immediately.

Customer:

how can i tell if that is bad

Customer:

when i try to start the car in the gauges it will say error start

eurotec :

The start error message is an indication of a bad key or a fault in the drive authorization system.

Customer:

what is the drive authorization system

eurotec :

That is your anti theft

eurotec :

It starts with the key

eurotec :

Do you have a spare key?

Customer:

no it only came with one

Customer:

can you tell me how i can order a key for my car

eurotec :

You can only order a new key from the Mercedes dealer.

eurotec :

You will need to go there with your registration and proper identification.

eurotec :

They cost approximately $240

Customer:

thank you for your help and have a good day

eurotec :

You're quite welcome

eurotec :

Please remember to click Accept so I receive credit for my help.

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.