Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Mercedes-Benz S500 SRS light illumination on instrument cluster Fault

Customer Question

SRS light illumination on instrument cluster

Fault Memory

B1315 [9] Front passenger seat occupied and child seat recognition (B48) is faulty.

what part do i need to replace to fix this problem
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

This can be a common failure on allot of the Mercedes models with the child recognition sensors in the vehicle.

This sensor is actually a sensor ,mat located under the passenger front seat bottom covering.The covering has to be removed as well as the seat to remove the covering and the sensor mat can be replaced from there.

The sensor mat itself is usually the component that fails and causes this code to set.

This mat needs purchased from a Mercedes dealer.

The sensor mat itself can cost around $130.00 and about 2 hours labor to have replaced.

Once it is replaced then the codes can be cleared out of the srs/air bag computer.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

would you happen to know the part number?

vin number of my car is WDBNG75J 8YA050337

would u have a diagram of location of this pad

thanks

for the supper fast reply

excellent info

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The number I have is 2208214751.This number may have been updated so it is best to check with a dealer for the most current part number.

I don't have any pictures or diagrams available for this sensor but it is located under the seat covering on the passenger front seat bottom cushion.

The seat has to be removed and the bottom cushion cover removed to gain access to it.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is accept answer button
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
You have already accepted once so you dont need to click accept again.Positive feedback and bonuses are appreciated if you feel my info has helped out but are not required.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
any special tools required like hog clamps
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I do believe the cover is held down with hog rings and hog rings and hog ring pliers will be needed to reinstall the cover.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do you calibrate the pad once its installed
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
There shouldn't be a calibration procedure for this sensor on this model here.Usually this is the newer models that require this procedure.

You should be able to install it and then clear out the fault code and be good to go from there.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say newer models from what year

I went to a shop and i guess they were just blowing smoke about a caliburation.

This shop said they need to put the seat through some weight caliguration

thanks

Jeff

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the passenger seat out how do i gain access to sensor pad?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
You have to disassemble the seat and remove the bottom seat cover,once it has been removed you can gain access to the sensor assembly and then remove it and replace it.

This vehicle shouldn't have a calibration procedure according to the info I have here.I have put these in before and it is usually the newer year model vehicles that require the calibration,you should just have to replace yours and then clear out the codes.

You will have to look at the seat to see how it comes apart to remove the bottom cushion cover to replace this sensor mat assembly.

Thanks Pete!