Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2006 ml350: check engine light..crankshaft..camshaft..the cam sensors

i have a 2006 ml350 check engine light code is on it reads p0016 p0017 crankshaft/camshaft positioning over retarted sensor A what is wrong? the cam sensors or the magnets?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, on an 06 it can either be the magnets, the sensors or the balance shaft gear. The simplest test is to swap magnets and sensors and see if your codes move with the sensors or stay where they are. If they stay where they are then your balance shaft gear is probably worn.

Customer:

i had swapped them about a month ago got another code for the other bank which was bank 2 i replaced the magnets now i have bank 1 p0016 p0017 codes so im not sure what to do now

eurotec :

Did you replace all 4 magnets?

Customer:

no i just swapped them

Customer:

and replaced only bank 2 side

eurotec :

Well you should probably go ahead and replace them on bank 1 to be sure but these two codes are often set due to a worn balance shaft gear.

Customer:

so if i replace the magnets on bank 1 and still get the same codes then whats next replace all cam sensor?

eurotec :

I'd just swap the cam sensors to bank 2

eurotec :

If you still get your P0016 and 17 I'd say the gear is bad.

Customer:

yes i did that already

eurotec :

Ok, then in that case it seems like you have a bad gear.

Customer:

but it also says sensor A what does this mean is thiss a cam sensor

eurotec :

A and B are your intake and exhaust cams.

eurotec :

p0017- crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor b
p0016- crankshaft position-camshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor a?

Customer:

but if im looking at the cams on bank one which is sensor A the top or bottom im confused

eurotec :

standby

Customer:

ok

eurotec :

Sorry I was pulled away

Customer:

not a problem

eurotec :

Sensor A is going to be your intake cam sensor. That would be the sensor that is closer to the center of the motor.

Customer:

ok thankyou but why would the scanner read that sensor A bank 1 is bad even when i swapped them

eurotec :

Because the gear is probably bad and your cam timing is off.

eurotec :

It not a code for the sensor itself it's a code for the relationship between the cam and the crankshaft.

Customer:

oh ok thankyou do you recommend me to replace the magnets on bank 1 to see what happens or you think its indeed the gear

eurotec :

I would definitely do the magnets first.

eurotec :

They are only about $30 each.

Customer:

ok and after that should i rule out the cams and it be the gear

eurotec :

correct

Customer:

thankyou i will itry this first

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.