MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Mercedes-Benz e220 cdi Hi my e220 cdi 1999 have this problem

Hi my e220 cdi 1999 have this problem , the engine stops after a few seconds .it starts and run smootly then limbs and stops. ???? any idears ?? ... Henrik (Denmark)
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  MB Paul replied 5 years ago.
Hi Henrik,

I would first recommend a check for fault codes on a diagnostic tool to see if any codes are stored as there are many things that could cause this problem.

A common problem is down to low fuel pressure in the fuel rail - this can be down to many different things:

The first & most common problem is air being drawn into the low pressure lines - check for any signs of fuel leaks around the engine. Often no fuel will be visible but air can still be drawn in - check for signs of air in the low pressure lines from the filter to the fuel pumps & upto the rail. If air is present then I would replace the O rings at the end of the low pressure lines.

The fuel filter can also cause problems & would replace with a genuine filter.

Another common issue is with the injectors - when faulty these flow too much fuel back down the return line, this again causes low rail pressure preventing the engine from starting. These need to be checked with special measuring tubes to check the returned amount of fuel.

There are many other issues that could be causing this but would have the above checked first.

Best regards, Paul