Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

My 2002 c240 ignition key will not turn, and i cant start the car.

my 2002 c240 ignition key will not turn, and i can't start the car.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

If your primary or first key wont turn in the ignition but the second key turns and starts the vehicle this indicates the key that isn't turning is faulty and needs replaced.

The key sends a signal or is read by the ignition switch when it is installed,if the primary key isn't sending a signal this failure happens here.

This key has to be ordered through a Mercedes dealer as you need to provide a copy of your drivers license and registration in order to be able to order one.They are shipped overnight to the dealer.

If you do not live near a dealer you can contact them on the phone and may be able to fax this info and order it and then have it sent to you.

These keys can cost anywhere from $150 to $300 in some cases depending on the vehicle.Your dealer will have the most current price for your vehicle.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!