MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes

Mercedes-Benz C320 I have a clicking noise on my C-320 2001

I have a clicking noise on my C-320 2001 MBenz when I start the car. It appears to be coming from the console around the air vents/radio or env. control unit-- it lasts for about a few minutes and then it goes off. Sometimes it comes on when the car is running a while, and it continues even after I shut the car engine off. Any ideas?

This is a common problem with a broXXXXX XXXXXnkage on one of the heater flaps - the flaps are controlled by motors & when you switch on the flaps move to the end position so the AC control unit knows where they are. When the linkage breaks the motor gets to the end position & keeps trying to drive the flap as it bounces at the end position so it cannot get a valid reading. After a while it will give up & the clicking stops.

I would first recommend a check on a diagnostic tool that can read the codes in the AC control unit as there will usually be a fault stored in there relating to which motor is at fault.

A couple of the lower ones can be accessed by removing the lower dash trims but many require the dash and possibly the heater housing to be removed to replace them. This can be a very labor intensive job.

Best regards, Paul