Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

2006 ml350: getting code p0015 (bank 1)..resistance..swapped..p0016

Customer Question

i have an 2006 ml350 i checked all my cam sensors because i was getting code p0015 (bank 1) i checked all the sensors and they appeared to be good with in the resistance so i swapped the cam sensors from (bank 1) to (bank 2) along with the selanoids now i get a new code p0016 my question is are the cam sensors really bad? or the selonoids?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, you need to only swap one item at a time to determine if it's the sensor or the solenoid. I'd just replace them all as Mercedes is having a lot of trouble with them. If your codes come back you probably have a balance shaft gear going bad.

eurotec :

Please remember to click Accept for my help today. I notice that you never accepted on your last question where I gave you the instructions for the belt.

Customer:

can you send me a print out of the location of the sensors and selenoids

eurotec :

I thought you just moved them side to side?

Customer:

yes i did but when i spoke to the dealer they had no clue of what selanoids i was referring too i kept saying the ones under the cam sensors

eurotec :

The dealer calls them camshaft magnets.

Customer:

ok thankyou now i know

Customer:

what normally goes bad more often the cam sensors or the camshaft magnets?

eurotec :

Both go bad but the magnets are more common.

Customer:

so when i go i just ask for two cam shaft magnets does it matter if i say bank 1 or 2 or are they all the same part number

eurotec :

Correct, they are all the same

Customer:

now what happens if it is determined that its the magnets along with the sensors that are bad can i still drive with them bad

eurotec :

Yes you can but I would not recommend it. If the problem is actually the balance shaft gear failing you can cause severe engine damage.

Customer:

ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to take my chances and replace the magnets first because they are less expensive

Customer:

do you recommend to get the magnets after market or the dealer

eurotec :

Dealer only

Customer:

ok thanks

Customer:

so if my scanner reads bank 2 is it necessary to change all 4 magnets

eurotec :

No, just do the bank 2 magnets and see what happens.

Customer:

ok thanks you were great !

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.