Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

1996 e320: abs and ets lights on , on my dash bord,what that means

Customer Question

i have 1996 e320 mercedes , and i got ABS and ETS lights on , on my dash bord,
what that means, how safe to drive with this lights on, how to fix or what could be the problem. and what it would cost to fix it.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

These lights/messages here are indicating a fault with the abs braking system components.

This can be anything from a faulty brake pedal switch,wheel speed sensors,other brake sensors,internal control unit failure or even a hydraulic unit failure plus many other possibilities.

What happens when you receive these lights/messages this will disable the ABS braking capabilities meaning you wont have ABS brakes.You will still have normal standard power brakes and will still be able to stop but you wont have traction control or ABS brakes.

What needs done from here is the fault codes need checked in the computer systems especially the ABS computer with a scan tool or a dealers sds machine to determine what is at fault and what needs done to correct the fault.

Most commonly is a faulty brake pedal switch.

In some cases checking the fault codes will either aid in the diagnoses and can sometimes even pinpoint the failure.

I recommend a dealer do this but any shop with a scan tool that can communicate with your vehicle will work as well.

You can drive the vehicle like this but keep in mind you wont have ABS brakes or traction control as long as these lights are on.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!