mbfixer
mbfixer, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  20 plus years hands on experience old cars new cars SDS-WIZ on hand to help assist you.

Mercedes-Benz E320 4Matic 2001 e320 srs light on. occasionally

Customer Question

2001 e320 srs light on. occasionally goes off when a heavy passenger sits in front passenger seat and buckles in. any easy choeks or connectors i can ensure are seated properly prior to a $100 check at the dealer? If it is a sensor needs replacing approx cost at dealor or can i isolate and do myself?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  mbfixer replied 3 years ago.
hello in past repairs i have seen that the right front seat bottom senor is bad, this is called WSS or child recognition- safety seat. there is a sensor that is attached to the bottom seat pad under the leather. this seat has to be removed from the car and disassembled, seat back from seat bottom, then seat bottom disassembled to gain access to this seat pad sensor. normally take me 3-4 hours of time to replace sensor,. after the seat reinstalled back in car may have to use scan tool to reset dash warning light. the sensor connector is located under the seat the sensor pad connector will yellow connector. the parts cost i afraid to quote you a price that i am not sure of, hope this helps let me know how to help some more be glad to steve this is a common failure, dealership will have this part in stock.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is it possible ,corrosion in conection and will I do damage disconecting and re connecting this wiring. do i need to disconnect the battery or fuses. then how to reset the light
Expert:  mbfixer replied 3 years ago.
no i doubt dirty connection. take a look at yellow connector under seat. no disconnecting and reconnect seat yellow plug will not cause problem, to reset SRS light will take MB star tool to reset. also you can be sure of problem when using MB scan tool you can test rf front seat pad sensor, i would not disconnect battery, causes other problems when disconnecting battery. the key factor is when some one sits in rf seat is when dash warning light come. good luck in the shop we see alot of these seat pad problems on all models that have this sensor this sensor is used for child safety reasons..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lately the light goes off when an adult sits in the seat and buckles the seatbelt . does that coincide with your thoughts
Expert:  mbfixer replied 3 years ago.
yes the seat pad sensor or the seat belt latch i am thinking is your problem, with mb scan tool you will find the problem, first time you mention seat belt?? try this start the engine you go and sit in r\f seat and bounce up and down if dash warning light comes on and off, then i am thinking seat pad sensor is bad. hope this helps.