Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2006 E350: oil leak..the engine on the driver side..valve cover gasket

2006 E350. i am having an oil leak from the back of the engine on the driver side. it appears to be a valve cover gasket leak. how much should br charged at a dealer to get this fixed.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, a valve cover gasket leak on an M272 motor is not common. It is more likely that the plastic cam plugs at the rear of the cylinder head are leaking. Cost to replace the cam plugs is around $100.

eurotec :

From the Mercedes technical service bulletin regarding misdiagnosis of oil leakage:

eurotec :

The new generation of Mercedes-Benz engines have chemical sealers (sometimes referred to as "formed-inplace gaskets") applied to sealing surfaces by robots during the engine assembly process. This engine sealing technique called the RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) uses the silicone rubber compound. This precise and uniform application of silicone at the factory insures proper adhesion and a leak tight connection that very rarely leaks.

eurotec :

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

would a cam plug problem cause oil leak large enough to form an oil puddle the size of an steering wheel over 4 months??? $100 estimate is for parts and labour??? how much for part and how much for labour??? what if its valve cover gasket leak. how much for parts and labour to fix that??? thanks.

eurotec :

The cam plugs are very common and can cause a large leak. The cam plugs are around $8 each. A valve cover reseal on the M272 motor is a major job. I'll look up the labor time for you.

eurotec :

Labor allowance to reseal the left valve cover is 6.5 hours + diagnostic time.

eurotec :

It's a chemical sealant. Parts should be in the $50 range.

eurotec :

But as I said, the rear cam plugs are the common oil leak on that motor.

Customer:

thanks....how many cam plugs are there??? and what do they do???? are these plugs on the driver side only??

eurotec :

2 on the driver's side and 1 on the passenger side. They just seal the camshaft opening at the back of the motor.

Customer:

so will they change all three, or just the one leaking???? my last question...lol

eurotec :

:-) I'd recommend replacing all 3. Maybe $150 parts and labor for all of them.

Customer:

thank you...u were great....all the best

eurotec :

You're quite welcome

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.