Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
14928985

Mercedes-Benz S430 2001 S430 with air suspension. Rear suspension

Customer Question

2001 S430 with air suspension. Rear suspension is leaking down after key off. Front seems to be OK. Is there a common issue here where I can start?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I have seen some of the air bag shocks in the rear fail on these and will cause a leak down.

What needs to be done from here is the suspension needs to be at the normal ride height then spray some soapy water on the air shocks in the rear around the air line inlet and the shock/air bag itself.

Then visually check for the bubbles blowing up bigger or moving around on the shock as this would indicate an air leak and then this shock would need replaced.

Most commonly the front shocks can leak more then the rear but since this is in the rear I would suspect a faulty or leaking shock as it is most of the time.

If you know it only drops on one side more then the other this would be the side I would concentrate on first.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am just getting into this. Do I get to the air connection throught the trunk?

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes the air line should be accessed behind a small plastic panel in the trunk that should sit just above the top of the air shock.

Thanks Pete!

(I apologize as I don't have any pictures or diagrams to offer on this)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see the labor for the rear shocks is 4 hours. Do you have the repair instructions for these?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I can type in the instructions I have for this:

Use the dealers sds machine to drain out the air in the struts or loosen the lines slightly to air out the struts.

Remove the rear wheels

Remove the cover over the air line in the rear parcel shelf

Unscrew the air lines from the tops of the shocks

Remove the three nuts from the tops of the shocks

Remove the electrical connectors from the struts

Remove bolts that hold plastic cover on lower control arm then remove the plastic cover from the lower control arm.

Remove sway bar link bolt from sway bar that attach's the sway bar link to the sway bar and let the sway bar link dangle.

Remove lower shock attachment bolt and nut and remove the bolt from the control arm.

Pull down the control arm and remove the shock from the side.

Installation is the reverse,use the dealers sds machine to air up the shocks before allowing them to bottom out or keep vehicle slightly lifted and start vehicle so the shocks become aired up before putting the full weight of the vehicle on them.

I show 3.4 hours labor to replace these on both sides or 1.9 hours labor for each side.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I don't find any leaks in the shocks or at the compressor connections, how can I tell if a compressor is leaking down?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If the compressor was leaking down then it would run for a long time to air up the suspension or it would leak both front and rear shocks down.

I believe there may be a air valve block for the rear shocks that could fail as well and cause these to bleed down.This would normally have to be checked/tested using a dealers sds machine to see if this is faulty internally.

Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome.

Have a great day,Thanks Pete!