Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

2003 mercedes benz c240: It goes to turn over but does not start.

Customer Question

hi i have a 2003 mercedez benz c240. The car will not start. It goes to turn over but does not start. The gas pedal goes straight to the floor when pressed. Last july i had the crank shaft position sensor and fuel pump SENDING unit replaced. Do you have any ideas what could be wrong? We did just get 24 inches of snow and the car was totally buried.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, if the car cranks but does not start I'd have to suspect the crank sensor again or the fuel pump or fuel pump relay.

eurotec :

The car will need to be checked for ignition spark and fuel pressure to see what is missing.

Customer:

are u serious? i am not getting any error messages on the display

eurotec :

If the car were in the shop I would connect it to the Mercedes tester to check for an RPM signal on the scan tool coming from the crank sensor.

eurotec :

You won't get any messages for this problem.

eurotec :

I assume there is fuel in the tank.

Customer:

yes there is 3/4 of tank of gas in there

Customer:

could there be any frozen fuel lines especially after the car was just buried in 24 inches of snow?

eurotec :

It takes a lot for fuel to freeze. I don't think that will be the problem.

Customer:

when the crank shaft positon died in july i had an error message on dashboard.

eurotec :

Cold weather does have an affect on electrical components however.

eurotec :

You mean you had a check engine light?

Customer:

ok.. well i guess i will have to have it towed and pay a big diagnostic charge..

Customer:

yes check engine light came on

eurotec :

Since the car won't start you can't really tell if the light is on.

eurotec :

A no start diagnosis should be between $100 - $150.

Customer:

no i dont have check engine light on now but last time it did..

eurotec :

You might want to try again when the weather warms if that is possible.

Customer:

the car goes to turn over but doesnt seem like its getting fuel to turn over

eurotec :

Do you mean that it sounds like it might start but it doesn't?

Customer:

the weather will be like this for awhile and i need to get the car running ASAP to get to work to pay for the huge bill.. i will never buy a mercedez ever again!! lol

Customer:

yes.. it doesnt click like when a battery goes bad.. it seems like it wants to start but doesnt turn over.. and when i press on the gas the pedal goes right to the floor with no tension

eurotec :

It's sounding a bit like a fuel problem. When the crank sensor fails it does not give a hint of starting it just cranks and cranks.

Customer:

yes.. that is what it did in july when the crank shaft postion died along with the fuel pump sending unit (the same day both died)

eurotec :

I'm wondering if your fuel pump has failed. The diagnosis should not be too difficult for the Mercedes shop.

eurotec :

It should consist of a scanner test and a fuel pressure test.

Customer:

i really dont want to go to the mercedez dealer.. they are way over priced.. i will take it to a foreign auto repair shop..

Customer:

what is the cost to replace a fuel pump?

eurotec :

As long as they have the Mercedes diagnostic equipment an independent will be fine.

eurotec :

About $550 for a fuel pump installed.

eurotec :

I need to break for dinner. Let me know if you have any further questions and I'll reply back asap.

Customer:

thanks for all your help.. i just hope its some thing cheaper.. lol.. i will keep you posted on how i made out!! thanks again

eurotec :

I hope so too. Please do let me know the outcome.

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.