Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

C320: My 03..makes a scraping noise from the front end with turning

Hi, you helped me before. Got another problem. My 03 C320 makes a scraping noise from the front end with turning as I back out of the car port in the morning. I thought it was just a brake rattle on backing up, but it continues in forward motion even with a slight turn. Almost as if a piece of cardboard were stuck in the wheel well. This goes away after the car warms up. Temp in the morning is only say 40 here in Las Vegas. Manual doesn't even tell me where steering fluid is and there is no warning light for fluid. Thanks.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, is this a noise you are hearing when turning the wheel or when rolling?

eurotec :

If you can create the noise standing still I'd have a look at the power steering fluid level.

eurotec :

Full Size Image

eurotec :

The power steering reservoir is at the front of the motor below the left air cleaner air intake hose. It will help if you remove the hose to check the fluid level.

eurotec :

If you only get the noise when rolling I'd suspect a brake pad is dragging. If that is the case it will usually change sounds when applying the brakes.

eurotec :

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer:

The noise is only when the wheel is turned. The fluid seems to be down a little. Do I have to go to the dealer to get a specific fluid or can I just get some at Auto Zone?

eurotec :

You should purchase the Mercedes fluid from the dealer. I don't think Auto Zone is going to carry the Mercedes fluid.

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.