Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor The windshield wiper will not

The windshield wiper will not move, but when I turn it on I hear the motor humming. How do I remove the cover of the single blade to see if nut or bolt came loose, and if that is not the case, what are other possible causes?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, there is nothing to tighten under the cover. The wiper system will need to be removed from the car to check the linkage and the motor.

eurotec :

Usually this turns out to be a bad gear in the wiper motor. Occasionally it turns out to be a linkage problem.

eurotec :

If you have a plastic cover over your pivot it just unclips from around the edges but there is nothing in there to tighten.

Customer :

So the only way to fix the linkage is to remove the wiper system?

eurotec :

That is correct, and it's often a bad wiper motor.

eurotec :

Everything connects from underneath the wiper mechanism.

Customer :

How long does it normally take to fix?

Customer :

Is it possible for a novice to fix with out taking it to a garage for a mechanic?

eurotec :

To replace the wiper motor or linkage or the pivot I would estimate 2 hours labor.

eurotec :

It is not the simplest job. I'd be inclined to leave it to a Mercedes specialist.

eurotec :

It's easy to get the motor timed incorrectly and then the wipers don't park where they are supposed to. It's also possible to crack the windshield if you aren't careful.

Customer :

well that's unfortunate

Customer :

what is your estimated cost to fix something like this?

eurotec :

Sorry I was pulled away

eurotec :

There are 2 different motors

eurotec :

Do you have your vin # XXXXX?

Customer :

let me go get it

eurotec :

One retails for $150 and the other is $384.

eurotec :

Labor charges should be in the 2 hour range.

Customer :

wdbha24g8ya844925

eurotec :

Unfortunately yours is $384.

Customer :

fantastic

Customer :

how can you determine if the motor needs to be replaced?

eurotec :

Once it's apart you will be able to see if the gear in the motor is bad or the gear in the wiper pivot is bad.

Customer :

if the gear in the wiper pivot is bad, is that easier and cheaper to replace?

eurotec :

I was hoping you wouldn't ask. The wiper pivot is $470. The same labor applies.

Customer :

why is that what i'm reading on various message boards across the internet that people who have had the same problem with their car often have the bolt loose? have you ever seen just that be the case?

eurotec :

That is true of wiper systems that use a nut on the wiper arm. Yours doesn't have that.

eurotec :

There is a nut underneath that might have come loose but the system has to be removed to check it.

eurotec :

And it does not come loose very often.

eurotec :

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to click Accept so I receive credit for my help today.

Customer :

one last thing do know of a site to get wiper pivot or the motor cheaper than list cost?

eurotec :

Click here for the motor. The pivot is a dealer item.

Customer :

The pivot can only be purchased from the dealer?

eurotec :

If you find it outside the dealer it will be the same or higher. There is no aftermarket available.

eurotec :

There is a company that makes replacement gears for the pivot. I'll post a link.

eurotec :

Click here for the link.

eurotec :

I'd have to say that the motor is more common though.

Customer :

Well that is good to hear.

eurotec :

The 3rd motor down is the same.

eurotec :

The Bilstein brand

Customer :

ok, so the first motor that's $26.40 is not the right one?

eurotec :

Sorry I thought $26.40 was the savings! That's pretty darn cheap. Yes that motor is correct.

eurotec :

Let me know if you need anything else. Please remember to click Accept so I receive credit for my help.

Customer :

oh great

Customer :

well let me just hope that the motor is the issue then. Thank you for your help and time

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.