Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz ml 320 I had the brake light switch replace

Customer Question

I had the brake light switch replace 4 months ago, Now I have no tail lights. What should I replace now and how? Thanking you in advance
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 4 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi, what is not working now? Brake lights or tail lights?

Customer :

Hello!!! Both are no longer working

Customer :

Hello I have never done this before. Is it working? Did you receive my response?

eurotec :

I would first check the fuses for the brake and tail lights. The fact that you lost everything sounds your problem may be more than just bad fuses but you need to start there.

eurotec :

Fuse 15 is your brake light fuse.

Customer :

I checked all the fuses yesterday. All where working. I also have an order in for a new brake lamp switch. But that was replace in Sept. What else should I try?

eurotec :

Are you sure you have lost both your tail lights and your brake lights?

eurotec :

Are all of your front lights working?

Customer :

Yes The turning lights and front lights are still working. Both brake and tail lights are out.

eurotec :

Have you tried new bulbs?

Customer :

yes

eurotec :

You are going to need to test for voltage at the fuses to be sure power is getting to them and then test for voltage at the rear lights. You may have some wiring problems or some bad tail light assemblies along with a bad brake light switch again.

Customer :

The first thing I checked were the fuses and the bulbs. What is the next step, Since I have already replaced the Brake lamp switch in Sept. of the year. How often should a Brake Lamp switch be replaced? What would cause it to go out again?

eurotec :

Did you actually check for power to the fuses? If the brake light switch were aftermarket it could be bad again. Next step is to test for power going to the brake light switch.

Customer :

Ok I will try that again. Where do I go to get assistance with that? And could it be a relay problem?

eurotec :

Fuse #12 and #24 power your tail lights but they also power your front marker lamps. If those lamps are coming on when you turn on your parking lights the fuses must be good. There is no relay involved for the parking lights.

eurotec :

If the front marker lights are not coming on then your headlight switch would be suspect.

eurotec :

Looking at fuses is not good enough, they must be tested for voltage.

Customer :

And where can I do that at?

eurotec :

You test for voltage right at the fuse with a test light or voltmeter.

Customer :

Ok if the voltage is ok then what do I do next?

eurotec :

Then you would go to the rear lights and test for voltage there.

Customer :

ok If all the voltage is good, then what should I check next?

eurotec :

If all the voltage is good all the way up to the light bulb the bulb should light up. It's possible that the ground side of the bulb is bad but it would have to be bad on both the left and right side of the car and that would be highly unlikely. I suspect you are going to find either bad fuses or no power to the fuses or bad connections at the rear.

Customer :

How do I replace those items? What are they called?

eurotec :

I'm not sure what you mean.

Customer :

What is the part called that supplies the power to the fuses or connections to the rear lights?

eurotec :

Your headlight switch powers the fuses for the tail lights.

eurotec :

Power to the rear lights comes from the fuse box.

Customer :

Yes I understand how the fuses work. So I need a headlight switch? or a Brake lamp switch?

eurotec :

You haven't done any testing yet to find out.

eurotec :

My guess is you need a brake light switch again for the brake lights.

eurotec :

You need to go see if the front marker lights come on when you put your parking lights on.

Customer :

It does not come on either. Nothing in the rear of the car is working. Expect the turn signals

eurotec :

What does not come on either?

Customer :

The front maker lights come on. Only the rear brake lights do not work.

eurotec :

Ok, I'd start by replacing the brake light switch.

Customer :

Ok. What if it is the connection to the switchs? What are those called and how would I replace them?

eurotec :

I think for anything more than the brake light switch you will need a Mercedes specialist to handle for you.

Customer :

Do you know what the connection are called?

eurotec :

You have bulb sockets back there and multi plug connectors.

Customer :

ok. thank you for your help. Have a rockin day!

eurotec :

You too. Please remember to click Accept so I receive credit for my help.