Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

2006 Mercedes S500: the diagram of the fuse box..windshield wiper

The windshiel wiper on my 2006 Mercedes S500 failed to work all of a sudden, shall I check the fuse before to send it to a dearler? Where I could get the diagram of the fuse box? I need help to locate the fuse(s) for the windshield wiper system, thanks,

XXXXX XXXXX, XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Submitted: 3 years ago via AllDataDIY.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.

eurotec :

Hi Michael, can you post your vin # XXXXX?

Customer:

I don't have it with me at this time, I could get it in few minutes?

eurotec :

It would help me when looking up the information if you can.

Customer:

Hold off, let me make a call ... BRB

Customer:

WDBNG75J56A481229

eurotec :

Ok, let me check some diagrams. Do the wipers not work at all? Do they not even work when you wash the windshield?

Customer:

It was Sunday, it worked before I hit the road, then it failed while I was driving, in rain. The some indicators blinks while I rotate the switch back and forth, like the SRS disable red indicator next to the gear shift rod ... I guess the headlamp washer came up once then everything stopped ... no more reactions after that ..

eurotec :

Ok, it does not sound like a bad fuse but there are a couple to check.

eurotec :

Fuse 1 and fuse 5 in the fuse box under the hood on the left hand side next to the brake master cylinder.

eurotec :

Those fuses are for the wiper motor.

eurotec :

Let me see if I can give you a diagram of the box

Customer:

Please, it'll be helpful in the future ..thanks,

Customer:

Where is the rain sensor? How the sensor work?

eurotec :

The sensor is on the windshield near the mirror.

eurotec :

It senses droplets on the windshield.

eurotec :

Rear Fuse Box

Customer:

Got the diagrams, thanks,

Customer:

So the sensor should turn the wipers on but not off, right?

eurotec :

You will need to have the wiper system scanned with Star Diagnosis to check for faults in the system. This could be many different things causing the fault. The steering column module, signal acquisition module, rain sensor, overhead control panel can all cause the fault.

eurotec :

Or even a bad wiper motor of course.

Customer:

I have added a wide angle mirror to the rear mirror on Sunday, could be cause any problem?

eurotec :

Yes if you have disturbed the wiring to the rain sensor it could.

Customer:

I think it's someting related to the controller as the entire system is dead. Wiper won't woprk and washer won't work neither ...

eurotec :

The steering column module may be at fault. The diagnostic test will turn up fault codes.

Customer:

So it's a owner's test or dealer's test?

eurotec :

That would be a dealer or independent Mercedes specialist.

Customer:

Any suggestion about specialist near my area? CA 92630?

eurotec :

Standby while I check

eurotec :

Click here for some Bosch Car Service Centers in your area. One is fairly close but the others may not be. You need to call ahead and make sure they have the Mercedes diagnostic tester to scan your wiper system.

Customer:

Thanks and I guess I may need to visist them other than just checking few fuses. Any more suggestions that I might perform myself?

eurotec :

The system operates over a network. Other than the fuses there is little that you can do without a diagnostic machine. If you think you might have disturbed the wiring to the rain sensor I'd go ahead and recheck that area.

Customer:

Good thinking, thnaks,

eurotec :

You're welcome

Customer:

So I'll let you go now, what next ... I'm new to this on line service ...

eurotec :

You just need to click Accept if you are satisfied with the help I've provided.

Customer:

I'll do. Thanks again and have a nice day ...

eurotec :

You too :-)

Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.