Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician

Mercedes-Benz ML350 I am trying to change a Fuel Filter on

Customer Question

I am trying to change a Fuel Filter on a 2006 ML350. Im looking for the Mercedes schematics, diagrams, and procedures to complete the task. The information I need is listed in the service and repair manuel. and is listed as (APA47.20-P-0780RT) If you have this I would appreciate your help.
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi Customer.

Here are the instructions on how to replace this fuel filter.Let me know if you need anything else,Thanks Pete!

1.Disconnect ground cable from battery.
2.Drain fuel tank(you can skip this step if the tank isn't completely full)
3.Fold up both rear seat cushions(they should lift up and swivel out of the way)
4.Remove the sound deadening mat under rear seat cushions.
5.Remove all electronics under the sound deadening mat and brackets for the electronics if the vehicle is equipped with them.
6.Remove cut out cap/.covering that covers the fuel pump on the passenger side of the vehicle(it is stuck with glue so you will have to heat up this cap and pry it away from the body to release the glue,make sure on install you add new sealant or glue)
7.Loosen the fuel lines on the fuel pump on the passenger side of the vehicle(this may require a special tool to squeeze these lines to release them which can be purchased at a dealer)
8.Remove the cap/cover on the drivers side under the carpeting under the rear seats that cover the fuel filter (this is the same as the passenger side,you have to heat the glue then pry the cap up)
9.Remove fuel filter with lines and sender and replace as needed.

These are all of the test steps here for this vehicle in this document,unfortunately I cannot post pictures or the document due to copyright issues.But if you have more questions feel free to ask me.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Mercedes Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years experience as a Mercedes dealer technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete,

Thanks for the help, but I do have a few more questions. First off.....#7- you put loosen the fule lines. Im assuming you mean remove the fuel lines from the fule pump? Yes or No? secondly, #7 -what is the name of the special tool so I can see if my dealership has it so I can get it before starting on this project, or is there a good chance I wont need this tool? please let me know.

Thanks, Mike

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I didn't see any special tools being called for in these instructions but I will double check.But yes I do mean remove the fuel lines.

No special tools are being called for so this must be squeeze clips you can squeeze either with your hands or with pliers.

I hope this helped,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete, I have a crazy question for you.......where is the battery in this truck, and where should I disconnect the ground from because ive seen a couple of grounds on this vehicle.

Thanks,

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
No problem and its not a crazy question at all,

The batter is located under the passenger front seat,you have to move the seat all the way forward,then pop up the vent cover under the seat,then cut the uncut portion of the carpet,fold the carpet back or roll it back,then pull the black retainer that hold down the other vent,slide out this vent,then pull up the black plastic cover and the battery is right there.

Your vehicle has two batteries under here.The large one is for all of the vehicles functions and the very small (I call it a power wheels battery because it is so small) is for the electronic shifter this way if the main battery fails then little battery will still operate to shift the vehicle out of park when needed.

If you need anything else let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete,

I have remopved the plates which was a pain in the rear........

I am having some trouble removing the ring that holds down the pump and filter. both are tight and I cant get them loose by hand. any suggestions. Also the clamp that holds the line hooked to the outside of the filter is difficult to get off. is there a certain procedure i need to follow to get it off.

Thanks,

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I apologize,I didn't see in the instructions this repair calling for special tools but the clamp does require a special pair of pliers to remove this clamp and reinstall it and also the ring has to be removed with a special tool as well.

The part numbers for these (and I had to find these by looking them up on a different vehicle,not sure why this didn't show up for your vehicle) are:

Fuel tank ring remover....164589010700

I cannot locate the number for the fuel line pliers for the clamps,you may have to go to the dealer and explain what you need and they should be able to look them up for you.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete, I appreciate all your help with the questions I have asked. I could really use some help with finding out what the part number is XXXXX the pliers used to disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter, as well as any other pliers or tools that would be used other than the ring remover. I did order the ring remover, and it will be here on Thursday. AI appreciate your help and will throw a bonus your way for all the help.

Thanks, Mike

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

Of course your vehicle doesn't call for any special tools but from what I have found these should be the right pliers for these clamps.I cannot be totally certain since it says your vehicle doesn't need these but the part number is

AST tool#M2000cp

You might be able to order these yourself by calling this number here,this is the tool manufacturer phone number for these.

Assenmacher Speciality Tools
1-800-525-2943