Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes-Benz ML320 awd fuel gauge in my 2000 ml 320 went

fuel gauge in my 2000 ml 320 went from over 3/4 to reading 0 and the empty light is on. Whats the problem and is there an easy solution

eurotec :

Hi, if the gauge is reading empty but there is fuel in the tank you may need to replace the fuel level sensor but I would try resetting the fuel gauge sensor circuit first. Sometimes the sensor logic gets fouled up and it reads incorrectly.

eurotec :

To reset the circuit you need to remove fuse #5 in the right front footwell fuse box for a few minutes and then reinsert it.

eurotec :

Give that a try and see if it works. If not you will probably need to replace the level sensor in the tank.

JACUSTOMER-m4nnvtr6- :

What does replacing a fuel level sensor cost?

eurotec :

I will check

eurotec :

The level sender on a 2000 ML is part of the fuel pump module. You would need to replace the complete module. The part runs $440 and labor should be in the 3 hour range.

JACUSTOMER-m4nnvtr6- :

Ok thank you.

You're welcome. There is also some recalibrating of the instrument cluster that can be performed to avoid this problem if it turns out to be a false reading. The car would need to be connected to Star Diagnosis for the recalibration.