Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.

2003 SL500: trunk soft close stopped working..latch ($$$)

I have a 2003 SL500 and the trunk soft close stopped working. On advice of a maintenance person I replaced the latch ($$$) and it still does not work. Any ideas? [email protected]
HelloCustomer do all of the other automatic trunk functions work correctly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Trunk opens from inside cabin or at rear of trunk as well as the emergency opener. In order for me to close the trunk all the way I must first close it (one click) and then apply full body pressure for second click. I f not closed all the way Ig et error message and top will not go down. I relaced the latch on the advice of their road mechanic. No change.
Okay. If the trunk opens and closes the way it should and not latch down all of the way then the most common cause is a bad trunk module. if the trunk module fails then this will happen.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not sure of what you mean by the trunk module. I replaced the latch assembly. After further research I found a similar posting and the response was the vacuum pump or a leak: but reset by removing/replacing fuse F71. I did tha and it now works. But in that response the owner indicated that when the Mercedes people "flashed" the computer but it only worked for a few days.. The exxpert was eurotec on 12/19/2008
Does it still continue to work right now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did it about a5 times and it continues to work.
Hi, maybe I can help. When the soft close trunk vacuum actuator fails and leaks vacuum the PSE module will turn off the circuit to the trunk to protect the pump. Pulling the fuse or disconnecting the battery will reset the pump. If all is working now you should be fine. Let me know if you have any questions.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. Now I know that the problem was (or still is) probably a leak, either at the latch end or the pump end. As I have replaced the latch assembly, and I do believe that there was a leak in that assembly, maybe i will be alright. If not, then I now know that there is a pump, and will replace that. I did not know there was a pump - I thought it was all in the latch assembly. Thank you for yoour help! I accept your answer: it was well worth it!