Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

How do you reset the car alarm on a 1995 E300 diesel?

Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Hi, to reset the alarm you simply lock and unlock the car from one of the front doors or from the trunk.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried that already and it didn't work.
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Can you post your vin # XXXXX me? What problem are you experiencing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There seems to a problem with the trunk. What started the alarm sequence was after the car was locked (and alarm set) I tried to open the trunk with the key. That set off the alarm. I had tools so I was able to disconnect the negative cable.

Then I tried locking and unlocking the driver door with the cable connected. Also i tried turning the key to on before I reconnected the cable. Bothseemed to work, but when I tried to start the car it wouldn't start and the alarm went off.

I Haven't tried locking and unlocking the trunk, although that seems to be the area that causes the problem.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Is this a W124 or a W210 chassis? Can you post your vin #?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had to go back where I left car to get VIN.

I don't know what body style it is, but it is the small 4 door. E300 should give you the body style.

The VIN is WDBEB31E4SC186475

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Ok, it's a W124 chassis. Does the car crank but not start or does it not crank at all? Did you try locking and unlocking it from the trunk when you went back to the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No it will not crank. It will pre-heat but when you turn it to the full start position it does nothing -- then after a moment the alarm starts up again.

I did not try the trunk. I'm assuming to try it I must connect the battery, otherwise the brain would not detect the locking and unlocking.

I can go back and do that if appropriate.

Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Yes you need to go back and try to disarm the alarm from the trunk or passenger side door if the driver's door is not disabling it. I'd roll down the windows and lock the car and try to make the alarm go off by opening a door then try disabling the alarm by locking and unlocking so you know it's disabled. I've also seen a bad trunk lock actuator continually rearm the alarm once you disarm it before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tried these things and they didn't work. Then I tried shutting the hood after connectinng the battery cable and then unlocking the front door. That worked. Alarm is off.
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
Excellent! I'm glad you got it reset.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Yes I am very glad it is reset. I don't know if my answer went, just in case I will re-type.</p><p> </p><p>The question is who gets credit for the fix -- you or I? You did spend time with me. If you think I owe you I will release payment. Also if you think I deserve a discount for a joint effort, that would be ok too. Your call.</p>
Expert:  Marty replied 3 years ago.
It's always a joint effort on JA since you are there and I am here. Had you told me the hood was open it would have helped me advise you. If you feel my information has been helpful you can click Accept. That part is completely up to you.
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience: Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.