MB Paul
MB Paul, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Qualified Mercedes Benz Diagnostic Technician - 20+ years experience - Workshop Foreman for Mercedes
15777119

How do you replace the serpentine belt on a 2000 Mercedes Benz S500?

Chat Conversation Started
MB Paul :

Hi - the tensioner is located to the right of the crank pulley as you look at it from the front of the car - in the centre you should see a torx bolt. Using a suitable sized torx socket or wrench release the tension on the belt by turning the tensioner anti clockwise & remove the belt.

MB Paul :

Install the new belt observing the routing around the pullies - this diagram should help with the routing: Belt routing

MB Paul :

The tensioner is auto tensioning & when the belt is on spring tension will adjust the belt to the correct tension.

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer :

Hey Paul- your diagram is slightly different than my car. There is some kind of 1-1/4" pulley at the top with bearing in it. What is that called? I believe I have to replace that too....it doesn't spin freely anymore.

MB Paul :

Hi, could you post your VIN number so I can check some details. Regards, Paul

Customer :

WDBNG75J2YA053251

MB Paul :

Hi, its from an online parts catalogue so not a great diagram I'm afraid - this one should better resemble your layout I believe: Belt diagram

MB Paul :

The top pulley is just an idler pulley & is prone to failure - prise out the centre plastic cap to get to the single bolt that holds it to the timing cover.

MB Paul :

Best regards, Paul

Customer :

Thanks Paul. I appreciate your help.

MB Paul :

Hi, No problem at all. Please remember to click accept when we are done. Best regards, Paul