Marty
Marty, Mercedes Technician
Experience:  Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 35 years experience.
13230946

1997 Mercedes SL500 I tried to remove my hardtop this afternoon

1997 Mercedes SL500 I tried to remove my hardtop this afternoon and when I pushed the buttom the red light was on but it would not disengage the top. I had just taken it off yesterday and put it back on. I checked to see if the plug was connected behind the driver's seat and it was. What should I do next?
Category: Mercedes
Expert:  Marty replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
eurotec :

Hi, I if you don't operate the switch within 10 or 15 seconds of turning the key on the top won't release.

eurotec :

If you do not hear the pump in the trunk operating I would check the fuses in the trunk fuse box.

eurotec :

If you do hear the pump operating I would check the fluid level in the pump.

JACUSTOMER-1m8t1i47- :

I tried turning the key off and back on and it still did not work. How would I know what fuse to look for and where is it in the trunk?

eurotec :

The trunk fuse box is located next to the right side trunk hinge against the back wall of the trunk.

eurotec :

I would remove and inspect all of the fuses in the fuse box.

eurotec :

They are prone to poor connections.

eurotec :

Do you hear the pump running when you operate the switch?

JACUSTOMER-1m8t1i47- :

No, I do not hear the pump running when I operate the switch.

eurotec :

Ok, then first you need to check the fuses.

JACUSTOMER-1m8t1i47- :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX go to that.

JACUSTOMER-1m8t1i47- :

I checked the fuse and it was good. Took it out and put it back in and retested as good. Still will not work.

eurotec :

Ok, fuse #4 in the rear fuse box is for the soft top controller but fuse #9 is for the soft top pump. Make sure you checked both.

eurotec :

If your windows are working and you do not hear the pump operating in the trunk you may have a bad pump or relay. It's also possible that the pump is running and you just can't hear it.

eurotec :

The next thing I would do is remove the spare tire and remove the cover underneath the tire that covers the pump and check the fluid level in the pump. With the cover removed you will also be better able to hear it if it's running.

eurotec :

If nothing is found I think you will need to have the car connected to Star Diagnosis to check for fault codes.